Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Help with training

Old 05-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Help with training

So are your dogs family pets or just hunting dogs? I have heard that it is bad for them to be an inside dog; is there any basis behind that?
Mine are inside during the night and kept outside most of the day.I have found no problems with keeping them inside at all. When we go out for the hunting parts they already know who they will respond to. So not an issue for me. For as far as being soft?I have not found that to be the case. When they run a pace of 18 miles an hour when excersized running down a dirt road for around 10 milesI guessI do not have to worry none about it. That helps to keep thier energy worn down. That is the biggest issue you might find is getting rid of some energy. Once you find a way to do that training will become much easier for you as well.

I will try the check cord (made from nylon rope) and spend more time one on one working with on at a time,
That will definately help you out. Also as stated above getting some sort of exercise for them to help calm them down before training will give you a big plus as well. Good luck to you on your training..
Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks I'll try that this evening!!! Any help with the digging problem???
Old 05-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can only recommend that you put some large rocks where they have been digging. I put some pretty heavey rocks where ever they did and it helps some but does not stop them. It's part of being a dog if they can did they are going to.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:30 PM

I have read that labs dig by instinct; something bred into them from living in Labrador they dig down to get heat from the earth. I have read different approaches to try and stop them from digging but I believe that it is just boredom. I run them daily but I think that they need more activity. I am also wondering about treats or rewards as a training tool?, is it a good idea or bad???
Old 05-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also think digging a place to lie in helps them cool off on a hot summers day..

For as far as treats go i would stay away from that. Instead reward them with a god pat and keep telling them how good they are. Most hunting dogs only really want to be rewarded this way IMO. After all you wouldn't want to be carry a bag of treats with you out hunting. If they do something wrong tell them no or to get down. But most of all try and make it fun for you and the pups. Ifone gets tired of it after 15 to 30 mins. Put that one up for a little while why you work on the other one. They normally will give up on the training after a little while while you build on them. This will pass after they get the idea better.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 PM

Cool thanks for all the input.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: ADV. Hunter

My dogs are inside, but only while I am at home.
During the day our dogs (5) are out but when we are not home they have crates. I think it helps with bonding. I would encourage you to have one or the other out with you as much as possible.
but once we hit the field all that is gone when they see a bird on the ground or in flight. .
The check cord can help here. Until you get the obediance down I would work on planted birds instead of wild. This way you can enforce your steadiness.
Any good suggestions on ways to get them to stop digging up my yard???..
I have had some luck with placing the poop of the offending dog in the hole. Also if you can catch them in the act grab the scruff an give a good shake with a firm NO.

Good Training
Old 05-21-2009, 02:08 PM

Thanks I'll give that a try Jodi!!!!
Old 05-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Spike

Have you decided if you are going to train them as flushers or pointers yet? This will determine what range you want them to hunt. Most dogs have that small flash point youre seeing before they pounce in. That does not always mean you will have a pointer. It took a lot of talented people a lot of time to line breed the prolonged pointing instinct into dogs. You have recieved a lot of good info. here. It sounds like they have plenty of prey drive and desire. That is a good time to start your backyard obedience commands. Dont be too harsh. Dont yell. Be consistent doing and requesting everything the same every time so your pups understand what you want from them. If you lose your temper, put pup up and start freshly with the other dog. Before putting a dog up end your session with something he knows how to do and can accomplish. Then praise him with love. If he messes up on a session, do something he can do before putting him up. Keep lessons short (20-30 mins) at least once a day, and always fun and youll have dogs that are eager to get out and learn. I.M.O. choke collars should be outlawed! Ive seen a lot of nasty damage done by them. Try to avoid. If needed use a pinch collar for yard training on heel,sit,& down.
If you are going to have flushers, Start you search pattern training with them using the checkcord to enforce the qaurtering pattern. ONLY RUN 1 Dog at a time or youll waste a lot of time and patience. When they can finally run this search pattern in front of you on thier own, Find a supply of training quil or homing pgeons. Carry a bird bag with you and if pup gets too far out, get his attention as you throw a bird out of the bag (imitate a wild flush). This will start making pup think birds are close to you. Remember, yard work should be done already so that when he wants to chase, youve inforced the COME command. Dont jump back to birds untill you are having consistent results with commands. If you are going to try to inforce the pointing instinct, thats a whole different style of training.
Remember that both the Lab and Vizsla love water! Find a nearby pond or lake and try some water retrieves. It is excellent exercize. Also try to harness your dogs and road them some. Between the water work and the roading you may see thier digging decline. (not always, some dig just to dig). Most of all, WELCOME to the fun world of dog training.Good luck!