Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Help with training

Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 PM

Default Help with training

I got two 1/2 black lab and 1/2 vizla (spelling?) just before christmas and I have never trained or owned a hunting dog. I know the labs are good hunters and have heard the vizla is too, they are not afraid of the guns going off and they seem to like to chase birds and they have been seeming more prone to stop and look at the bird before jumping in after them.

I would appreciate any help in how I should go about training them right. I cannot afford an actual trainer so that is not an option for me.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with training

!. Check my screen name for the correct spelling.
2. Read ALOT of books. There are a ton of them out there.
3. Get those dogs out in the field & make it as fun as possible. Whatever training you do, save the real work for the "yard" for at least the first six months. Get them out in the fields & woods & make it fun! Build up their confidence in the field. Its also a good idea to keep them on a 50' check cord while you're starting out & for as long as seems necessary. My Vizsla, Zoomie is 3 years old, & the check cord is still part of my training kit, although seldom used.
4. Whatever training methods you use, stay consistent!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 AM

I have been working with them out in the field and they do good but in the yard they show no interest in fetching for any period of time. One of my boys gunner he seems more into the whole hunting aspect while shooter likes to follow gunner and do what he is doing. I guess that is not a bad thing but I am curious as to what steps to take to get them more on pointing than chasing.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM

So upon reading up on some training I am finding out that not all dogs will point!? So now that I know that my dogs are flushers and that I should use a check cord to keep them at 50 feet. Any other things that may help me keep them close besides a shock collar?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vizslas tend to point rather naturally, labs can go either way... As far as gettting them to point, it can be done, but I'm not sure on the particulars. The first bird that was shot over my dog, I had my father in law help. We planted the bird & let him find it by scent. At that point, he wanted to break & chase the bird, but I got down & held him in place while my f-i-l kicked up & shot the bird. Then I let him go to "fetch" the bird (we still don't have that part down pat). Do this several times w/ each dog (individually), they just might catch on & figure out that they're supposed to wait for you. Once they start to understand the concept, NEVER shoot at a flushed bird! They need to understand that if they "bump" the bird before they're supposed to, that is bad & they don't get the reward of the shot & a mouth full of feathers.
In order to "bold up" the follower, try taking each dog out by himself for a while.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:10 PM

Thanks vince! I am not sure if it is a point or what they are doing but when they are seeing the quail running on the ground they stop and either their front left or right paw comes up in the general direction of where they are seeing the bird. They are about 6 1/2 months old and they love to run after anything that flies. I am going to try the 50 foot leash to get them more accustomed to being closer to me but they do not like to be on any leash. So far they are walked without one, we have a huge open feild right by our house and loads of quail, doves, and a few hungarian partraige frequent the area, so they have loads of game to chase, but I do not shoot at anything seeing as there are houses within 600 yards or so. Is there any good way to keep them from wanting to chase everything that flies (butterflies, bees, ect)?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Spike

What you describe sounds like a point to me. If I be you I would try to encourage this intinct in your dog. After all half of the dog is a pointing breed and labs have been trained to point. There are may books out there that can help you train a pointing dog Bill Tarrant is a good author. If this is the route you choose to use I would not use the check cord to keep your dog 50 ft away, pointing dogs should get out minimum 50 yards don't pull them in. Pointing dog traininers use the check cord to hold when the dog gets "birdy" and keep them from chasing. As far a butterflies and bugs puppies will chase them but don't offer praise or punishment when they do and they should grow out of it. If it gets excessive a simple "lets go" or "come on" will get their minds off it. Usually this is a sign of bordom.

Good luck with the training I wish I had your good fortune to have a large field with wild game to train on, you are one lucky man.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Well thank you for the complement, I find myself wanting to try and force training on them but they seem to take to it naturally, so at this point I am thinking that maybe I should just let them do what they are doing and just work on their listening, or obeying commands, that is where I am having the most difficulty, is with them not wanting to stay or not run off after birds or anything else that moves. Is there any good way to get them to listen better? They are pretty good but once the bird takes flight they are gone.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

For now, let them chase. The check cord is really to reinforce "here" or "come". When you want one of them to come toyou, call him & "reel" him in. When he gets to you, give him lots of praise for doing what you wanted him to do.Otherwise, let them drag the cord behind them w/o holding it. Let them run & be puppies for a good while! The best training advice I can give you right now is "SHUT UP!"
As far as them not liking leashes, TOO BAD! You're the boss, not them! They will get accustomed toit as long as you don't give them a choice in the matter. But keep the serious stuff out of the field for now.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Spike

I have to respectfully disagree with you on ths one Vince. I would not allow chasing anymore, It seems that the dogs have the idea that they are looking for birds and they should stop when scenting them. By letting them chase at this age I feel you will be encouraging a behavior you are going to want to stop in a month or so. By 6-8 months I expect my pups to hold point until I get to the bird and flush it. It is not perfect every time but the lenght of time on point should be increasing.

ADV I think that 60-70% of your time right now should be dedicated to the "whoa" and "come" commands. You are correct thinking that obediance is the key and these commnds are priceless for you. In the next few months pups are going to test you and you will need the tools to pass your test. There's no substitute for leash and collar training and will be the foundation of the training you us in the field. Remember you are the leader of the "pack" make them listen to you.

Quick Reply: Help with training

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.