Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

what do you get??

Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Spike

Default what do you get??

About 2 months ago I dropped my 6 month yellow female lab off at the trainer. I already had her sitting, staying, marking birds, around gun fire, and on dead birds. After a three months at the trainer what should I expect out of her when I get her back? Im not much into field trials I really just want her to be a good all around hunting partner. Ive read a few dog training books and plan on working with her at least a couple times a week when se returns. I know every dog is diffrent but was jsut wanting some opinion. [/align]
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Inactive

Default RE: what do you get??

What did the tainer say he was going to do ?? Seems to me after 3 months, she should mark birds, do blind retrieves and work hand signals, do multiple retrieves. You basically should have a finished retriever.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Spike

I dont think here is such a thing as a 9 month old finished lab.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: dcdhmonk

I completely agree with this. 3 months of training goes alot further on a 12 month old pup then it does on a 6 month old pup.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

I've seen a few champ Labs that finished their AKC Hunt tests at 10 to 12 months, but those are as rare as winning lottery tickets. And that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be any fallbacks. Even those pups have some growing to do at that age, no matter how well they're performing.

Your trainer should be giving you a very precise list of how, where, and when to continue with his training regimen while still implementing basic socialization, obedience, etc...on your own. Keep in mind, this dog will now be on his schedule as far as feeding, where and when it's been relieving itself...all that. You want to make sure everything is covered when you get it home. Keep in mind, this will take your pup a little time to get acclimated back to it's home and surroundings.

Hopefully you're on your way to many years of bird dog bliss. I hate to keep pi$$ing in the punch bowl, but I too, would've waited until at least 9 months of age before shipping it off. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Spike

You definately did the right thing by taking your pup to the trainer young. I made the mistake of waiting until my pup was almost a year and ended up with a dog that would not touch a dummy. Fortunately she loves real birds, but I still cannot get her to touch a dummy. I do agree that there is no such thing as a 9 month old finished lab, but I do not think that a lab is ever really finished, they always seems to amaze me. You should have a good dog when you get it back. Good Luck.