Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 question about the Britt. >

question about the Britt.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

question about the Britt.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default question about the Britt.

I thought I would so some research although it still may be another year or so before I can get dog.I do have couple of questions.

Would Britt. okay to live in Apartment?

How well do they get along with other dogs/pets?

*What about living with small children?

*I heard they are gentle around kids but being that I have 4 year old son so I want to make sure just to be on safe side.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: question about the Britt.

Red
Drop me a Pm and I can get you to a few breedersI know of for you to ask those questions. Not trying to sell a pup here but go to these guys andthey are better suited to answer your questions.

I see quite a few Brits - none have been sharp - many I see are family dogs and hunt well.

JW
Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 PM

A Setter is the best one for kids, family, all around. Very few britts make good house pets and hunters, Hell, I die hard quail hunter would tell ya they have no place at all in the fields. I have been lucky enough to have one of the best Brittanys their is. The thing with true bird dogs and house pets is......
A good bird dog is one in 25 a great bird dog is one ib a couple hundred.
A good bird dog as a pet is one in 10 a good bird dog and a good pet is one in a hundred.
A great pet and a great bird dog is one in a couple thousand.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Setters can be great with kids and no doubt about it..However with any good bird dog exercise is a must. After all most of your good bird dogs are hyper and need to have energy run off them..
Here is a couple of pics from mine the largest of the setter family.. These are great with our 2 teenagers.. It's good to here from you Dale, I am glad to see you are still around..

Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

You won't be disappointed with a Brittany. You need a house pet who'll be great with kids that you can take hunting, a Brittany will be perfect. They're smaller than most bird dogs which makes them better suited to apartment life. I got Jake as a puppy a year before my daughter was born, guess what her first word was, not mom or dad, it was Jake. We had to put him down 9 years ago but he was the best family pet you could ask for and he was better than great with our kids. As far as a hunting dog goes; he had a great nose, stayed closemost of the time, he'd point without flushing until I caught up and he retrieved. The best part about using a house pet for a bird dog is the fact that I always felt like I was hunting with my best friend. You might find a better bird dog but I'd rather hunt with him and take thechancethat I might bemissing out on a few birds. Man do I miss him.