Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Any advice would be helpful. >

Any advice would be helpful.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Any advice would be helpful.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any advice would be helpful.

I just picked up a English Springer Spaniel. A friend needed a home for him as well as his brother (the dog' s brother, not my buddy). We decide to try out one and we literally picked him up yesterday. He comes from a reputable breeder, he' s 11 months old, never had any formal training and has not been neutered. From what I have read and what I have heard, he should be a great family dog with the potential to work the field. My kids have families of their own and now it' s just the wife and I at home. I was told that this breed is broken down into two categories, " Show dogs and " Field dogs" , and this guy would fall into the " Show" category. I have never had a hunting dog, and to me that would not only be exciting to me personally, but also it would be using this dog for what he does best. Anyway, any input or advice on this breed would greatly appreciated. ...Thanks in advance,.....Jimmy S
Old 04-23-2003, 11:49 PM

Default RE: Any advice would be helpful.

I have had a couple of Springers, and have one now. The first thing I would check is to see if they have any retrieve in them. Go and buy a bumper or dummy and see if you can get them started on fetching. Next I would locate someone who has some pigeons, pheasants, chuckars or quail. What you are looking for is if they are birdy or not. If they have the desire to retrieve, and show interest in gamebirds, you are halfway there. After these have been determined, you can start obedience training. Teach the dog to hup or sit. Teach them to come on command. Things like that. Keep us up to date. I am training a couple of American Water spaniels right now. I am wishing I was back to Springers.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:04 PM

Default RE: Any advice would be helpful.

I belong to an English Springer Spaniel Field Trial Club. Check out this link and surf it well. Good luck.

http://www.guadairakennels.com/Links_page.htm