Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Brittany spaniel

Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 PM

Default Brittany spaniel

Now im thinkin about getting a brittany spaniel and i need to know if they are good dogs. ive talked to some guys and im impressed with it so far, but id like to get your guys opinions on this dog.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Brittany spaniel

Britneys are kind of the odd man out, in a good way though. They are the only spaniel that points, not to say no other spaniel will point. Some consider them versitile, some consider them a pointing breed. I consider them a pointing breed. They are good on all upland game, never saw one on waterfowl so I do not have an opinion on that. Just like all breeds there are good ones and bad ones. Most are known for being closer working in the field, although there have been some larger runners that have done very well in the NSTRA.

You might be able to find a nice started dog at a good price from a trialer, it is a good possibility that the only reason it will be for sale is because it is not a big enough runner.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Spike

Brittanys are a great upland bird dog.
They are generally a close working pointer, will hunt all day and are not too big a dog 30 - 40 lbs.
I like them because they work close for grouse and pheasant and if they do bump a bird it is usually in range.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

There are alot of britneys up around 50 lbs. So if you do want a larger dog dont let the 30-40 bother you.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bjess

Brittanys are a great upland bird dog.
They are generally a close working pointer, will hunt all day and are not too big a dog 30 - 40 lbs.
I like them because they work close for grouse and pheasant and if they do bump a bird it is usually in range.
X2 Brittanies are the best all around dog out there. They work close, they point, they retrieve, if theres no birds they'll be happy running squirrels and rabbits. After a long day in the field he'll go to bed and sleep with your kids, which he adores to no end like they were his own pups. There make the best family dog who wants to find bird for you. Get two.