Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Anybody hunt with a Chesapeake? >

Anybody hunt with a Chesapeake?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Anybody hunt with a Chesapeake?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anybody hunt with a Chesapeake?

Socializing is extremely important with this breed. They were bred to guard the ducks at the market while the owner was away. This is where their strong protective instinct over the family comes in. In my experience the females are a little more aggressive. I have never had one that would bite though. The poor ups guy and meter man don't know that by the way they act. Just a dash from point a to point b then back to point a. That doesn't say much though, I had to rescue the ups guy off of my central unit from 8 hungry ducks wanting a handout. He thought they were attacking him.

Deerkiller, an e-collar is a wonderful tool if used properly. Most likely you can get your buddy to tow the line with a little bit of extra care. I allow mine to run away from a stranger barking if they try to pet without my command of sit. The only time my dogs get petted is when they sit though. When they are in a calm submissive state. If allowed to stand in an excited agressive state and someone breaks thier comfort zone I have them trained to run to the porches and guard the doors. I live in the boonies though. You may train yours to go gaurd his dog house so people have access to your doors. Theese dogs need a purpose. Try to give him one and he should quit acting up unless someone tries to steal the doghouse.

Blessings
Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Here she is. Seven weeks old. The kids named her Callie

Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM

that brings teers to my eye I had a male for 13 years unbeilevable dog!!! had to put him down i have two female labs trained for shed hunting (moose) great dogs but i do miss his don't f***k w/ my house and family attidude
Old 03-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Idont own one, but I hunted with a guy thathasone last year. Amazing dog, not sure if it wasreally goodtraining, or the breed, or both...but wow, what a dog
Old 03-03-2009, 11:51 AM

my chesapeake is the best if you want a family dog a GREAT bird dog that loves the water as i said this is the only hunting dog that i will buy they rock!!!!!!!!!