Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 go and get'em or try like hell to call'em back >

go and get'em or try like hell to call'em back

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

go and get'em or try like hell to call'em back

Old 04-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: go and get'em or try like hell to call'em back

It's good to here from you Mite, I am glad to see you are still around..

Good post SWOSUMike it's good to have you chime in..
Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I havent coonhunted over dogs inyears. Its really hard to do it in the part of Illinois where I grew up because you now have a house damn near every 40 acres and most of the ground is posted. Dunno what the laws are in terms of right of retrieval. I know that it is allowed for coyote dogs. The coyote hunters in that area that get along best are the ones that contact local land owners and get permission for large tracts of land. That would probably be the best move to try to avoid getting in trouble with your coonhounds. Of course, some of the folks that are the most vocal about keeping people and dogs off their landwill be the first one to trespass on someone else's land if they get a chance.I'm reluctant to even go coonhunting with dogs with somebody because it can be a pain in the butt to deal with posted ground if you dont have your bases covered in advance. Funny but the folks that wont let coonhunters on their land are the same ones that will wonder why the coons are ruining their sweet corn patch or getting into the garage and tearing into the dog food or livestock feed.

Anybody who talks about shootingcoonhounds (or any dogs)just for being on their property is probably a blowhard. If they check the laws they will find out that most of the time they would be the ones in trouble with the law for doing something like that. Hell, nowdays you have local prosecutors who go after people (often successfully) for shooting dogs that are harassing game. So, they are gonna take a dim view over someone shooting a coonhound that is treed up on their back 40.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

No Lanse its perfectly legal in Kansas to shoot a stray that is on your property.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

No Lanse its perfectly legal in Kansas to shoot a stray that is on your property.
Sure about that?

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/02/05/Mayor-charged-with-shooting-dogs/UPI-81451233811827/

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/42535132.html

The only law in Kansas on this matter is the law for ranchers to protect their livestock. Even then the rancher must have proof that the said dog was harming his livestock.

I believe that law is in effect in just about all states. Kansas is not special.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

I'm sure. Most counties here have there own leash laws and dog at large laws.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Many places have leash laws, etc. But that does not mean that it is legal to shoot a dog simply for being on ones property. The above posted links clearly indicates that in Kansas as well. In another thread I posted multiple links from several states (for example, Texas, Maryland, and Florida) where people have been consistently charged with shooting animals on their property.Even in areas where it is illegal for dogs to harass game, people have been charged for shooting them since in some cases it is only legal for a law enforcement officer to shoot them after making an effort to catch them. Dont fool yourselves folks, if you shoot a dog just for chasing a coon on your property you might get awaywith it. Hell people get away with shooting other people all the time, so you might luck out.But more likely you will find yourself on the end of criminal chargesor at leasta civil law suit. If you don'tbelieve that, then better ask your local prosecutor aboutthe legalities of it in your own area.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

If a guy keeps his dog under control then he has no worries.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kansas Senate Bill 408

"Cruelty to animals is: Intentionally and maliciously killing, injuring, maiming, torturing.....any animal."

"Maliciously means a state of mind characterized by actual evil-mindedness or specific intent to do a harmful act without a reasonable justification or excuse."

A guy who doesnt fly off the handle and start shooting at a blue tick hound running across his south 40 at 1AM doesnt have any worries either.[&:]
Old 04-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot dogs trying to get into my quail pens. No charges ever brought up Lanse. Keep your dogs on your place and you'll be in good shape.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Spike

I don't know much about coon dogs, but they seem to be extremely driven dogs and I could see why would could be difficult to get them called off of a trail. That being said I think that if they would happen to go onto other land you should leave your weapon behind and go in and get your dogs after the coon is treed. I also think that it would be a good idea to talk to the land owner around the land that you do hunt and explain to them what happens when your dogs follow a trail and get away from you. Tell them that you are not planning on hunting the land, but that you may need to go and get your dogs. I just do not think that it is a good idea to leave your dogs in the woods over night. Seems like a good way to lose a good dog.

Quick Reply: go and get'em or try like hell to call'em back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.