Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

hot spots

Old 02-04-2009, 02:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default hot spots

my Golden gets a hot spot on his hind leg any ideas on how totreat it ?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hot spots

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogd...a/hotspots.htm
As for treatment I use listerine mouth wash. It is an antibacterial and dries quick. Usually twice a day in a spray bottle. Once the redness is gone and the infection is out I use tripple antibiotic ointment. It has to dry out before you doctor it up with a salve though. This just gets the skin back healthy so the hair grows back quicker. You may need to look into dipping it. I use biospot. Still need to dip occasionally in the summer months. Some of my dogs are allergic to flea bites. So in the time it takes the flea to get to the poison on their back they can inflict several bites before they die. The dip helps kill them quicker, so there are less bites on the dogs. Last year I used a poison around the kennel, ortho bug be gone max. I got it at walmart. It goes in a seed spreader. Just broadcast in yard. I had no hot spots on my dogs or customers dogs. I try to stay away from poison in the kennels. I sterelize once a month with dogs out. I also use dimetrious earth, it is a microscopic jagged material that slices up the bugs and larvae. I believe it is exoskeletons of microscopic animals, unsure but have used it with poultry for years. Just a dust that kills mite, fleas, lice and worms with no pestacides. On chickens it is used in their feed to kill internal parasites as well.
This regimen may sound extreme but I may have 200 strange dogs on my place a year for training. I have no idea what they are bringing in. I do make them get a vet's clearance. But they can't catch everything. I don't want my dogs or customers dogs to carry or leave here with any parasites. They are to be in better shape than when they came here. Or if my finished stock, the best I can provide for the person.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hot spots

Kind of an unusual place to get a hotspot. Post a picture of it and let take a look at it.