Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Feist dog questions

Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 AM

Default Feist dog questions

I am in NE Tennessee and I've just this year started squirrel hunting behind a buddies cur. I'm wanting a couple dogs of my own for squirrel and I've always heard alot more about the feists than curs for squirrel. If anyone thinks the cur would be a better choice feel free to chime in however. I'm wondering if anyone knows any good kennels around NE Tenn, SE KY or the general area that would have started dogs. Or would I be better off getting pups and training them? I have trained labs before but not other hounds. What do you guys think? Also what might one expect to pay for mountain feist pups or for started dogs? I'm tryin to contact some of the squirrel hunting clubs but input from you guys is very welcome. Thanks

Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 PM

Default RE: Feist dog questions

Hello,

I think you'd be just as well off whether you choose a cur or a feist. I think they make equally good squirrel dogs, just sometimes different. A few weeks ago I hunted my cur with another hunter's feist and they hunted well together. They both find game. I hunt mountain curs but would not turn down the right feist.

Check out the forums at www.sqdog.com and you will find more on squirrel dogs than you know what to do with. Great folks as well. I go by swosumike on there as well. Join the forums and start reading and asking questions on there and you can probably find the dog you are after.

Two bits of advice. Regardless of whether you choose cur or feist, I'd suggest only getting one at first and giving it focus and attention. You'll have fun and learn a thing or two and your dog could be better off for it. Second tip: Think about a started or finished dog, or else a pup from a good breeder. There are lots on www.sqdog.com for both breeds you mention. Pups are kind of hard to train for the first time on squirrel and they don't all make good dogs. You couldfind yourself attached to a pup that isn't doing what you need it to and it might even be a little tough to tell if the dog has the set of skills you need it to in order to make a good dog if you have not seen enough of them. That is how it was for me when I first got into squirrel dogs. If you can find an honest seller who hasa dog ready to sell that is already treeing its own squirrel, that would be good. But if somebody is selling a started dog, try to go hunting with the dog to see if you like it before buying. But if you just want a pup, there are plenty out there.

Price? Pups can be had from $100 to $300, and started or finished dogs can be found anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. Go to the web site I listed above and start checking things out. Real good web site for the squirrel dog hunter.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Spike

When I read the question I set up a nice reply in my head. But after reading Mike's answer I honestly can't add anything. It is a very good response, and great advice.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:35 PM

Thank you very much for the info. I'll register over there and start learnin'

Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 PM

I'd be very interested to hear how you do. I've got a wonderful little feist I'm going to try on birds. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Banned

Were you able to get into feist dogs? Let's see your dog!