Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 one dog for upland game? >

one dog for upland game?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

one dog for upland game?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default one dog for upland game?

If you guys could pick only one dog for upland game ( I don't do any waterfowl ) what breed would it be? Im thinking about buying a dog but can't decide which way to go. I have 3 breeds in mind but can't decide which one.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: one dog for upland game?

I am biased, it would be a Labrador. Mine actually does more upland than waterfowl.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

If you are talking only birds, setter. If you hunt rabbits and hare as well, I would go with either a Pudelpointer, Drahthaar or Kurzhaar.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:56 PM

love my GSP
Old 11-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Derag2

If you guys could pick only one dog for upland game ( I don't do any waterfowl ) what breed would it be? Im thinking about buying a dog but can't decide which way to go. I have 3 breeds in mind but can't decide which one.
as you can see,we all have our favorites.

mine is SMALL AMERICAN LONG LEGGED LAB.

lab can do it all, they dont shed much at home and are one tough dog in cold etc.

i would look into thePOINTING LABS.

doc e comes on here and thats his favorite.

setter is great for JUST birds but if you want dog that is always in second place except for retrieving,its the LAB.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:20 PM

English Setter of the Ryman/Old Hemlock flavor, super pets, great house dogs, live to hunt, work closeand retrieve just as wellas someGoldens I've hunted with. Longer hair than a lab but they both shed, still has to be vacuumed periodically.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a Lab guy (actually Pointing Lab guy) through and through, but
for purely Upland Hunting, I'd go with either an (English) Pointer or an Elhew Setter.

Particularly in your part of the USA -- it would often be too hot for a Lab to be top notch all day long in the early/hot days of your seasons.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Its not really that hot here during our bird season. Plus theres not enough to hunt to run a dog all day. I was looking into a lab,german shorthair, and britney spaniels ( i don't want to keep it trimed) I also thought about Vizsla but the only breeder ive found for them wants 600bucks a pup. I can get German shorthairs and labs from 300 and under. We have one black lab already but was never trained really to hunt so I want a pup to start over with. I do like labs alot, pretty much id like either a lab or GSP.... I don't want dog I gotta sit and pick burrs out of their hair for half the day. So a setter is out.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its not really that hot here during our bird season. Plus theres not enough to hunt to run a dog all day. I was looking into a lab,german shorthair, and britney spaniels ( i don't want to keep it trimed) I also thought about Vizsla but the only breeder ive found for them wants 600bucks a pup. I can get German shorthairs and labs from 300 and under. We have one black lab already but was never trained really to hunt so I want a pup to start over with. I do like labs alot, pretty much id like either a lab or GSP.... I don't want dog I gotta sit and pick burrs out of their hair for half the day. So a setter is out.

here in pa. it gets over 50 degrees and higher in grouse season.

i have small lab.

he does get tired from heat.

also he is flusher and its hard to get grouse that is flushed 30 yards from you.

getting a hunting lab under 700 is not possible here in pa.

they run from 600 to 1,000 a pup.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also thought about Vizsla but the only breeder ive found for them wants 600bucks a pup. I can get German shorthairs and labs from 300 and under.
You couldn't give me a $300 Lab. For that money, you can be sure that the parents have no genetic clearances at all.
The initial price you pay for a pup is the least of your expenses.
At the end of 12 years, a $800 pup only costs 1-1/2 cents a day more than the $200 pup ----------- andif you run into genetic issues, you will spend many thousands more on the cheap dog.

Quick Reply: one dog for upland game?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.