Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 one dog for upland game? >

one dog for upland game?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

one dog for upland game?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 PM

Default RE: one dog for upland game?

ORIGINAL: Doc E

Only OFA can say. (and how about the other tests that I mentioned)
Is this really that difficult for you to understand?
apparently you don't seem to understand. This wasn't even my thread but I just don't agree with you saying that an 800 dollar dog is better and will live longer/be healthier than a 300 dollar one whenever it is completely possible and pretty darn likely that the 300 dollar dog will be perfectly fine.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JimmyMo32

Only OFA can say. (and how about the other tests that I mentioned)
Is this really that difficult for you to understand?
apparently you don't seem to understand. This wasn't even my thread but I just don't agree with you saying that an 800 dollar dog is better and will live longer/be healthier than a 300 dollar one whenever it is completely possible and pretty darn likely that the 300 dollar dog will be perfectly fine.

labs are known for hip problems.

by having tests, your ODDS are it wont happen..
yes, it still can happen because it may go back way beyond the parents.

a good breeder will try to get that out of his dogs by going back beyond parents with records etc.not BREEDING a dog that has this.

this is why sometimes a mix breed dog is free of health problems.

you are reducing your odds of problems if you have breeder that is trying to reduce these things.

a difference of 500 dollars can or could save you a hunting dog and a lot of vet bills.

I SEE IT all over my neighborhood.

in fact, i am ONLY lab owner in area that has lab that is not LIMPING or had their hips operated on..

most of these owners dont hunt their dogs,they bought dogs from friends who just bred them with someone elses dog down street etc.

my lab started BITING from about 1 yr old or so.

i feel it was HERIDITY,he did not learn this.

first thing i did was have him nuetered,i dont want his GENES being passed on.

you should see the people that are mad at me for doing that.

but i could have easly bred him with another lab and PASSED on that genes.

one that doc e did not list is newest one on labs,ITS CALLED TERRITORIAL AGGRESSION and vet is seeing a LOT of labs coming in with it.

mother or father has this and usually if you see both, 1 will act like they will bite you or put their heads down like they are shy.

if they show this, dont buy one of these pups or you will have biting dog.

MAKE SURE YOU GET A LOOK AT PARENTS.

at least you can reduce the BITING condition but not others.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

JimmyMo32

Ignorance can be cured --- Stupid is forever.
I will not try to explain (argue) any more.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:51 AM

JimmyMo32

Yes, because it seems like you have a serious ego problem. You're insecurity is comical.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 6 yr old English Springer that always puts a smile on my face when we go afield.
He hunts hard for me and loves doing what he was bred to do.

He's a great meat hunter who lives to please and is a wonderful family pet.
Can't ask for more than that.

Good Luck on your selection.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

this post kinda turned ugly...... If im gonna pay that much for a dog id just assume go drive the 3hours round trip to go back and get a Vizla they appear to be a great all alround dog.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JimmyMo32

JimmyMo32

Yes, because it seems like you have a serious ego problem. You're insecurity is comical.
No ego problem here -- I just know of what I speak. I have PROOF of everything I say -- you have nothing but your own thoughts (and ego).
Your ignorance is sad -- very very sad. I feel sorry for you and whatever dog(s) you will purchase in he future.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 PM

I like pointing Labs also. My current dog is a mutt though. Half Lab half Rhodesian Ridgeback. He points, flushes, retrieves and has a much better nose than a Lab. He is only 11 mos old but at this point I think he will be the best dog that I have owned so far out of 4 Labs and 2 Goldens. Is mixing of the two breeds a good thing I don't know ,did I just get lucky probably. My wife found him somewhere and she brought him home at 9 weeks for $60. He was supposed to be her house pet. But I noticed he had hunter instincts and a really keen nose the first week he was here and now he is becoming a great bird dog. He is friendly ,healthy and just a really good dog. Champion bloodlines can produce complete duds. And many a fine dog has come from a backyard. But to say a $300 dog is going to be a piece of crap and a$1500 dog is going to be the best dog is just not accurate all the time. A guy in my hunt club just lost a 4 year old Lab to cancer, the dog came from a top breeder and was very expensive. The dog was of average sporting ability. Nice dog but never a stand out.

Another oddity I find with dog shows. Go to any AKC show and it doesn't take long to realize that folks think their dog is better than yours just because he/she cost more and came from a certain breeder. From there it goes on to who's motor home is bigger. [:-] I don't have any patience for this kind of nonsense. The short version of this story is it is possible to find a good dog without spending a fortune.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fastfreddie15005

I like pointing Labs also. My current dog is a mutt though. Half Lab half Rhodesian Ridgeback. He points, flushes, retrieves and has a much better nose than a Lab. He is only 11 mos old but at this point I think he will be the best dog that I have owned so far out of 4 Labs and 2 Goldens. Is mixing of the two breeds a good thing I don't know ,did I just get lucky probably. My wife found him somewhere and she brought him home at 9 weeks for $60. He was supposed to be her house pet. But I noticed he had hunter instincts and a really keen nose the first week he was here and now he is becoming a great bird dog. He is friendly ,healthy and just a really good dog. Champion bloodlines can produce complete duds. And many a fine dog has come from a backyard. But to say a $300 dog is going to be a piece of crap and a$1500 dog is going to be the best dog is just not accurate all the time. Go to any AKC show and it doesn't take long to realize that folks think their dog is better than yours just because he/she cost more and came from a certain breeder. From there it goes on to who's motor home is bigger. [:-] I don't have any patience for this kind of nonsense.
just about every dog in my neighborhood has hip problems BUT my lab.

he was from kennel that breeds for good hips etc.

www.wetland-retrievers.com

was i lucky, yes, labs do have hip problems a lot.

but my luck is because the breeder is watching for this and is reducing chance that your lab will get it.

you just would not believe the number of labs limping around at age of 1 year to 3 years old.

everyone i talked too is from a back yard breeder,every one.

yes, mix breed dogs can be very healthy,at least they were for me for many years..

pure bred dogs i saw years ago were full of health problems.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:07 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: fastfreddie15005

I like pointing Labs also. My current dog is a mutt though. Half Lab half Rhodesian Ridgeback. He points, flushes, retrieves and has a much better nose than a Lab. He is only 11 mos old but at this point I think he will be the best dog that I have owned so far out of 4 Labs and 2 Goldens. Is mixing of the two breeds a good thing I don't know ,did I just get lucky probably. My wife found him somewhere and she brought him home at 9 weeks for $60. He was supposed to be her house pet. But I noticed he had hunter instincts and a really keen nose the first week he was here and now he is becoming a great bird dog. He is friendly ,healthy and just a really good dog. Champion bloodlines can produce complete duds. And many a fine dog has come from a backyard. But to say a $300 dog is going to be a piece of crap and a$1500 dog is going to be the best dog is just not accurate all the time. Go to any AKC show and it doesn't take long to realize that folks think their dog is better than yours just because he/she cost more and came from a certain breeder. From there it goes on to who's motor home is bigger. [:-] I don't have any patience for this kind of nonsense.
just about every dog in my neighborhood has hip problems BUT my lab.

he was from kennel that breeds for good hips etc.

www.wetland-retrievers.com

was i lucky, yes, labs do have hip problems a lot.

but my luck is because the breeder is watching for this and is reducing chance that your lab will get it.

you just would not believe the number of labs limping around at age of 1 year to 3 years old.

everyone i talked too is from a back yard breeder,every one.

yes, mix breed dogs can be very healthy,at least they were for me for many years..

pure bred dogs i saw years ago were full of health problems.
I wonder if hip problems could be compounded by the sedentary lifestyle that many family pets live. I wonder if a dog that is active builds stronger bones and muscles to help offset the onset of bad hips. Though I did loose 2 to lymph cancer. All seemed to live about 11 years.

I never had a dog with the condition. All but one of mine were backyard dogs. But I always met the parents and checked bloodlines. My only concern was to avoid puppy mills and pet store pups.

Quick Reply: one dog for upland game?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.