Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

fast dog

Old 10-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fast dog

My Springer hunts fast as well. This is his 4th year and he gets excited when he knows he's going hunting.
I try to let him run before we hit the field to try to take the edge off.

Later in the day, after a few hours when he's more tired, he seems to be a better hunter. Moving slower with less distraction.

That being said, even though he is a fast hunter, his style is to immediately backtrack, even a few steps, when he picks up the scent and gets birdy.
This is definitely my queue. I read him well and enjoy his dedication and the fact that he is relentless.

Good luck to all.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

My Springer hunts fast as well. This is his 4th year and he gets excited when he knows he's going hunting.

Later in the day, after a few hours when he's more tired, he seems to be a better hunter. Moving slower with less distraction.

That being said, even though he is a fast hunter, his style is to immediately backtrack, even a few steps, when he picks up the scent and gets birdy.
This is definitely my queue. I read him well and enjoy his dedication and the fact that he is relentless.

Good luck to all.
Ya know, I'll put more stock in that testimonial than any field trial. My dog wouldn't probably make it very far on the "pro circuit", but we work well together. I know his cues, I know how to read him, & he knows what I expect of him, & vice versa. And we end up with birds in the bag at the end of the day!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's exactly what I do.. I run my Irish Setters the same way before a hunting trip and that will slow them down somewhat.. With out the running they will keep you on your toes for a while. Once they get rid of some energy get ready for the action. But they still have a great style the way they hunt for me.

Good Luck to all you out there hunting this season. They say it should be a good year up here but so far it has been hard going, perhaps from the warm days that we are still having..
Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with both VV and Phil. My wife and I have a wonderful dog that is a loving pet and also a great meat-hunter.
Here's a pic from last week. One wet and tired Springer:

Old 10-15-2008, 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Vizsla Vince

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

Good luck to all.
Ya know, I'll put more stock in that testimonial than any field trial. My dog wouldn't probably make it very far on the "pro circuit", but we work well together. I know his cues, I know how to read him, & he knows what I expect of him, & vice versa. And we end up with birds in the bag at the end of the day!
That is what wins Field Trials, it has allot to do with the best dog. It also has allot to do with a good handler. A handler that knows and feels confident with the dog gets the uperhand.
Flushers should always be balls to the wall with no hesitation. Keeping them under control and in your range of shooting is your job.
Pointers should be broke enough to point the birds and not be busting them. If they are short on nose even in the worst scent conditions. They should stop for the flush at the very least. If not, It is not the dogs fault they are not broke. It is yours.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

my lab is hunting better this year,he is 5 yrs,10 months and 4 days old.

i credit it to time i spent this year in RIVER exericising him and reading doc e conditioning info.

it did make big difference this year.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

u