Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

fast dog

Old 10-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default fast dog

has anyoine had the problem of their dog hunting a little faster then it normally does or should. my griffon abbi is hunting a litte faster then normal this year, im hoping its just cuz shes excited to be hunting again......shes a fairly agressive hunter anywyas but seems like shes blasting through some covers and not hunting through them like normally.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:56 PM

Default RE: fast dog

My GSP has been doing the same. However, I think it's just her excitement. Once she does catch scent, she slows down and gets more meticulous in determining the birds location. It's been warm here and that plays a part too (IMO).

Chris
Old 10-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea? its been warm here as well. shes pointed all but two birds correctly to be fair. (the leaves are really hangin on too makin it hard for me to see the birds)i mean every dog is gonna bump a few here and there. especially where the ground and air are still pretty warm....dont ya think
Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

My pudelpointer knows we're getting close and she's been raring to go for a little while now. Took her with me to pop a couple tree rats over the weekend, and you'da thought she was a blood hound on a hot trail. Can't wait 'til the 18th.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i guess they all have the itch! its funny how they know when its hunting season.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

imn getting so discouraged! i took her out for about two hours again today and she still is on the engine! to me its like she isnt working as thoruogh as she should. also, anyone elses dog a tounge hanger??? once in a while she'll hunt so fast she gets dehydrated so i give her a squirt of water but she will then hunt w/ her tougue out. she obviously cant pick up scent as well w/ her tounge hangin. maybe its the terrible twos! i dunno
Old 10-08-2008, 06:51 PM

Skybuster,

Don't get discouraged. My pointer will be on her 5th season of hunting and she does the same thing. It's almost like she thinks she is a flusher and not a pointer. When the temps drop and it's game time, your dog will be ready to go.

Chris
Old 10-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Conditioning may be an issue, but I doubt it. Take a break here and again and give her water in a portable bowl or squirt her enough that she gets a good amount, if it's warm out or for your first couple trips. She may be bored cuz she's not getting on any birds and doesn't really know what the heck you guys are really out there to do.With enough reps and enough trips out, she'll be just fine. Obviously, try to concentrate on places where you'll get the best odds of busting into some birds. Once she gets the taste of feathers in her mouth a time or two...you'll be good to go.

Sometimes the tongue will be a great indicator of birds or a scent cone. Mine will tighten up, throttle up her tail a bit, and tuck her tongue back in and focus.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You've also got to remember that in warmer conditions, especially in fall, there are alot of distracting scents i n the air, i.e.ragweed, pollen etc... It's like trying to sniff out a cheeseburger in a barrel of pepper. And you're right about the tongue hanging... if your dog is spending that much time taking in air by mouth, not much is gonna get into her nose. This is why I love hunting in fresh snow!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

i highly doubt its conditioning. im a self employed concrete contractor andf log hiome builder and she goes to work w/ us every day and has the run of the job sites. she goes non stop all day never lays down. shes always on the hunt but then when i put her in her vest and her bell on she goes crazy hyper. like a phsyco hockey player puttin on his pads or somethiun. she gets revved up! we are in the birds. a guy i had workin w/ me has been goin w/ me some this week and hes been missin all kinds of wood cock. and we have bumped some partridge so i know theres birds around. and the flight birds are commin down through now too. lol you mentioins distracing scents, yea like damn chipmonks! all she wants to do is mess w/ chipmonks on the stone alls. she locks up solid on them things! we work w/ her all summer w/ hide a wing and live birds. shes two yrs old and we have shot and killed over 80 birds w/ her and soluted atleast that many lol or more. she knows what the game is she just aint actin like herself...my dad says just keep takin her and workin her. im headed out in a few minutes to try a new woodcock cover, we'll see what happens. thanks again guys!

Brandon

Quick Reply: fast dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.