Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Some Training Questions

Old 04-26-2008, 08:27 AM

Default Some Training Questions

I will be getting Lab in 2 weeks when they are ready. I already picked out a female. I live in the city (Buffalo, NY) and the dog will live with my parents in the country (Farmersville, NY) so I will only be able to work with her on the weekends when Im not working. I want her to pheasant hunt with me this fall if possible. Thats the only type of bird hutning I do. She isnt coming from a family of hutning dogs just a normal Lab.

What tools should I get to start to train her?
When should I start?
And any tips or tricks of the trade that anyone could offer will be greatly appreciated...

*One shot, One Kill*
Old 04-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Some Training Questions

Get Jackie Merten's "Sound Beginnings" your parents and you should both watch the video. It will help to build a foundation. Teaching upland hunting is very easy, compared to the skills needed for waterfowling, HT and FT. So that shouldn't be of major concern.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:59 PM

Weekends isnt going to do it... sorry.
Thats not enough training time with the dog. Training a dog is a full time job as long as the dog is living, if you want them to listen to you... You cant skimp on training, especially the initial training. Your going to have a long road ahead of you full of frustrations, expect that for sure. Take the dog to a pro and pay the fee's to get someone who can spend the time with it thats needed. You wont be sorry, its an investment.

You dont teach a dog to hunt, thats instinctual. You teach a dog how to handle himself in the field not like a coyote. No one has to teach coyotes how to hunt...
Old 04-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would advise you to wait for a dog until you can go through a PROPER taining program.
With your schedule, this is not possible.
Wait until you can do it right.