Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Pick of the litter pointers!! >

Pick of the litter pointers!!

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pick of the litter pointers!!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 PM

Default Pick of the litter pointers!!

Guys,

I have the pick of the litter for a german shorthair pup. I have heard that you should get each one out and work it by itself to identify which one has the most natural hunting ability. Are there any breeders or hunters who could help me out by telling me exactly what to look for? I have to make the decision at 4 weeks which I realize is probably to early to know too much. Any info. would be helpful as I have only owned non pointing dogs.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:55 AM

Default RE: Pick of the litter pointers!!

Although I've never worked with pointers, I did purchase a video that indicated the best "pick" would be the pup that is not the most aggressive, and also not the most submissive. Check for the obvious formation of jaw, limbs, and coat, and if possible, ask to take the puppy you choose to a local vet for a medical opinion. I purchased a retriever once, that was the most beautiful pup ever. Excellant temperment, etc., buy when she was 10 weeks and in the office for her shots, the vet said she noticed a "heart murmur", as well as a "jaw bone deformaty", something that would disqualify her for breeding stock which is why I purchased her in the first place. My wife and children were already attached to the little pup, making any return impossible. I learned from that one that a vet should always be part of my decisions when purchasing a pup. I imagine there are as many ways to choose a pup as there are to roll a dice, buy I still feel a professional medical opinion should be part of the equation.

dogger 69
Old 04-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

chaselton,

As long as you've done your homework on the breeder, and you're satisfied that he's been consistent in producing the types of dogs that you want, it comes more down to looks and temperment than anything else.

Find the dog that you like the best and trust your feelings.

Good luck
Old 04-27-2008, 03:53 PM

4 weeks [&:]... The one that takes the biggest crap or stumbles around the least...

Pick the one that looks the most energetic, and responsive to you, basically they are excited to see you...not zoning you out like you dont exist.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:07 PM

Yea,
If you can figure that one out. Please by all means let the rest of the world in on your secrets.
Old Timers Rules:
The one with 3 wiskers comming out under the chin on that spot.
The one that runs to door the quickest.
The one that does not eat their own ****.
The one that does not struggle when you pick them up.

The best peice of advise came from a man thathas forgottenmore about bird dogs that mostpeople will ever know.
Turn them all loose, the one that runs in the road and gets killed by a car is the one you should have picked.
Breeding is Breeding no matter what. If you breed junk you will get just that. If good dogs are bred, chances are that you will get something that works. Never; Ever Buy anything on an impulse. Research First then Decide.
The Dog will be the least amount that you will pay. It is everything else that costs. save a hundred here spend a thousand there.
Think About It

Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 PM

Glad to see you back posting againdale.