Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Clone Your Favorite Dog

Old 02-21-2008, 10:24 PM

Default RE: Clone Your Favorite Dog

Even if you cloned a dog, it wouldn't be the same dog in any way except common genetics, which does not mean the dogs would act the same or respond to stimuli in the same way.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

titles don't mean $#!+ its the dog that matters. I have a purebreed gsp that is gunshy, if you cloned her, you wouldn't get a gunshy dog, you would get a dog with the same genes, but a completely differnt personality, Just because a dog looks good on paper doesn't mean it can perform in the field.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard of beagle Field Champions (FCs) going for $25k. Def. not the norm, but I've sold a few for several thousand $ which is "cheap" compared to some friends dogs they sell for 5-10K, some aren't even finished yet. You're right, it's only worth what someone will pay, but some guys that have the $ would rather spend it than takea few years training 20 dogs only to have 1 or 2 outstanding ones. I can't afford to do that, so I train most of my own. Plus I enjoy it, it's a hobby that is quite addicting and it lets me bond and spend time w/ my dogs.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

Think of field trials likestock car racing with the dog being like the driver+ car. Now, if you could clone, say, Dale Earnhardt Sr.; the clone would be a different person but with the capacity (reaction time, etc.) of winningraces if given the right circumstances. The same with the dog.

I say driver and car because although your chevy, ford or whatever is great for the road (just like the dog is great for you) it isn't ready for the race track;just as an untrained dog isn't ready forfield trials. In this case, the mechanic could completely redo your vehicle to prepare it for the track and the trainer can train the dog to a standard for field trails.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

My pheasant dog, casey, the best dog i ever have had and i bet will ever have. even out of the feild she is great, with kids, our horses, and cats. she is most useful dog i could imagine b/c she will fetch beer straight from the fridge on demand. but as much as the family and i love her i would never clone a dog, god never meant for any form of life to be cast into a mold exactly the same as it's forerunner
Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM

i would never clone my dog because i believe it would take away from who that dog really was and how special they were, its like cloning your dad they wont be the same dad. As for field trial dogs you can not improve upon dogs genetics if your using the same dogs over and over. The agriculture industry doesnt want cloned animals they want better animals. Anyway i also agree with cloneing causing a glitch in the circle of life.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mite

There was a movement once, albeit a short one, that tried to raise funds to clone Count Noble (the Llewellin setter mounted in the dog hall of fame). But it fizzled mainly because Count Noble of yesterday couldn't compete in the FTs of today.

Heck a lot of Llewellin's sell for quite a price tag anyway!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:22 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mite

They could clone Tomoka Sunrise or Snakefoot Ehlew and sell pups for aleast that much. Why? Because their prodigy wins field trails and FTs are big business.
Or maybe Millers Chief.