Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Beagles

Old 01-19-2002, 07:52 AM

Default Beagles

Does anyone here hunt Rabbits with Beagles or have anything to do with Beagles? I just got a new Beagle pup and am interested in info on training. Also in finding folks in Mid Mo who have Beagles.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Beagles

I don't own any but I hunt deer and rabbits with them. I see the guys who own them turn them out. They basically train puppys by turning them out with experienced dogs. I do not train my bird dogs this way. But who can argue with the success we have running deer and rabbits at our club. I wish I could offer more help.
Good Luck Bro.

Old 01-19-2002, 09:01 PM

I have seven beagles,although I do not hunt rabbits with them. I only hunt deer with mine.
at one time I would run rabbits to start them.I would drive around after an afternoon rain and when I saw a rabbit I would take the pup and put it where the rabbit was.it only takes a little help and they will get started.just give them a little time and a LOT of praise.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:56 PM

MoBeagle..I've had and hunted with beagles for many years, I'm in no way and expert but if you've got a good pup running rabbits will be in them. You need to work on obediance training Beagles are hard headed.
Teach them to come when called, every time. And everytime you jump a rabbit with out them seeing it call them to you put them on the rabbit and tell them Tally Ho, are what ever signal you want them to come to when,you want them to come pick-up a rabbit that you've jumped. And run them with a good older finished dog,but not one that will teach them any bad habits. And if the start trying to run deer e-mail me I've got a sure fire way to break that, with out a shock collar.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:57 PM

MoBeagle..I've had and hunted with beagles for many years, I'm in no way and expert but if you've got a good pup running rabbits will be in them. You need to work on obediance training Beagles are hard headed.
Teach them to come when called, every time. And everytime you jump a rabbit with out them seeing it call them to you put them on the rabbit and tell them Tally Ho, are what ever signal you want them to come to when,you want them to come pick-up a rabbit that you've jumped. And run them with a good older finished dog,but not one that will teach them any bad habits. And if the start trying to run deer e-mail me I've got a sure fire way to break that, with out a shock collar.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:54 AM

Thank you all for your ideas. I appreciate any advice. So far he comes everytime I call, he fetches , and will follow short trails that I lay out. I even have him coming to the whistle. We are starting with sit, down and stay . He is very smart and quick to learn, and very eager to please. I think I lucked on a very good dog.