Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 dog for hunting? please explain >

dog for hunting? please explain

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

dog for hunting? please explain

Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 PM

Default dog for hunting? please explain

i wanted to know if i want to start deer hunting what is the goal of the dog. how are they used in deer hunting and big game hunting. i want to start hunting andi plan on getting a dog to accompany me something like a bmc is the best for what i want to do from what i readthanks!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:58 PM

Default RE: dog for hunting? please explain

ORIGINAL: cutrn0391

i wanted to know if i want to start deer hunting what is the goal of the dog. how are they used in deer hunting and big game hunting. i want to start hunting andi plan on getting a dog to accompany me something like a bmc is the best for what i want to do from what i readthanks!
Sounds like you answered your own question. You can have the dog do whatever you want them to do. Usually people use dogs to trail deer, meaning the dog gets on scent and pushes live deer out of the cover into the hunters. Or you can have a tracking dog, who tracks blood and scent of a wounded deer until the dead deer is found. Often times, you can have a dog do both tasks rather easily.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:30 PM

thanks alot do you think a bmc would be good for this? i have a small cocker mixed retriever and hes a great fetcher, fast,do you think i shoulduse him for flushing
Old 01-24-2008, 10:55 AM

I prefer beagles for this type of work. Black mouth cur would be alright.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 PM

BMC's make good deer dogs from what I've heard. They seem to not have the same drive as some of your hound breeds. A hound like a walker or beagle will usually run forever and if it runs the deer to the next state it'll keep running. Curs on the other hand have more of a reputation for running for a while then quitting.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are looking for dog that will blood trail, try a dachshund. I have 2. The "expert" is now 13 years old and the "apprentice" is 3. Both are absolute masters at blood trailing. Neither will "trail" or run deer ... only the blood trail. I did nothing special to train them except give them the opportunity to track and a reward for the "find". Ironically a chunk of "weenie". Now "finding" a downed deer is enough reward. If you are interested in more info e-mail me or look for "Teckel" web pages.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:56 AM

We can't use dogs for deer hunting in Kansas.
But if we did, I'd stay away from big, tan colored dogs.