Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Bad case of English Setter tear stained eye? >

Bad case of English Setter tear stained eye?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Bad case of English Setter tear stained eye?

Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Bad case of English Setter tear stained eye?

I just got a beautiful English Setter pup. She is going to be a tricolor but right now she is only 7 weeks old and is mostly white with some of the black ticking showing up. She has a really bad case of stained eye. The fur under the corner of her eyes is stained a dark reddish brown color. The vet told me it was caused by an enzyme in her tears. My question is will this go away as she gets older? Also is there any treatment I can do that won't harm the puppies eyes?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 12-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bad case of English Setter tear stained eye?

If it is not hurting her then i wouldnt worry about it. I would be worrying about socializing her.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the tip. Like I wouldn't be doing that as well.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 PM

I know what your getting at, you dont like the appearance of the stained eyes, I dont blame you. BUT... What really matters is that you have a good dog or that you dont. That dog might turn out to be the best dog you have ever had or will ever have, regardless of the appearance. Its understandable for you to be disappointed in the ugly tear staines when you buy a beautiful breed like the Eng setters. Ultimately you just need to accept it and move on, she will prove whether she's a good dog or not, by then you will love her so much that the eye stains wont matter anymore.

As far as treatments go, I havent heard of any eye stain treatments.
And there is no telling whether it will stop or not whens shes older. You will find out in a few years I guess.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:59 PM

I found a safe and easy way to solve the problem. They sell a product for this exact problem. They are little pads that have a safe ingredient on them to wash away the stains. It takes about 3-5 days to get rid of the stains and then if you treat her everyday they won't come back. My vet said they are very safe and there are no side effects. Another treatment that sounds really funny but my Vet said it works and is harmless is to give the puppy/dog one Rolaid or Tum a day. I guess dogs eyes water excessively when their stomachs are upset. Giving them a Rolaid a day helps calm their stomachs down. I also agree that looks are not that important but tell that to my 6 year old daughter who got the puppy for her birthday. I passed on a black headed black eared Tricolor to get this tricolor. I'll post some before and after pictures if the remedy works. She comes from a very strong hunting stock. I have hunted behind 2 of her family members alot. My friends Dad owns the kennel and my friend owns 2 of these setters and they are amazing.

Chuck
Old 12-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Spike

Try this:

http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=210204%20108
Old 12-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

My wife and I show and breed Cavaliers and tear staining is somewhat common in our breed. It does seem to be worse in young puppies and get better as the puppy gets older. All we do is wipe the tearing every day with a damp cloth. If it really gets out of hand, one of the best products we have used is Angel Eyes or Diamond Eyes. If the staining persists, you might have the vet or opthomologist look at the eyes to be sure there is not a blocked tear duct. We also will many times see an increase in tearing when teething.

A lot of people (ourselves included) have had luck changing dog food when the problem goes into adulthood. We recommend a premium dog food. What we tell our puppy people is to go to the grocery store and see what they sell; that will tell you what NOT to buy. Then go to a place like Petco or Petsmart to buy a premium food. Every year the Whole Dog Journal publishes a list of recommended foods that is an excellent guide. You do have to subscribe, but it's a great newsletter; they are like Consumer reports in that they do not accept advertising. They have several articles in each newsletter that cover everything you can imagine about dogs. I highly recommend it.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 PM

Bruce,
Thanks for the info. Angel eyes sounds like a good choice.

Chuck