Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

ENGLISH SETTERS

Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 AM

Default ENGLISH SETTERS

anybody here hunt w 'em or raise large type esp LLewellen? If so, pls post urlocation and experiences etc. - might be nice to communicate w a group of Eng setter lovers. dying breed? Best pointing dogs on the PLANNET!!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:51 AM

Default RE: ENGLISH SETTERS

I love the Setters, they are not dying. Just getting a hard time from all the GSP's and EP's.

I know Dale Harris runs an operation and he has lots o' setters!
Old 11-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

There are alot of setter people on these forums. Phil from Penn or Mainehunts with the old fashion irish setters from yesteryear. I hunt with a Llewellin. There's another board dedicated to Llews in which several trainers drop in once in awhile:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/ourllewellins/start

Like with many boards, GSPs are gaining in popularity, and some owners are very vocal (passionate about them). I can't take anything from them as I think GSPs are great hunters but I like the tail of an english setter and because I grew up with them.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, Mite is right on the money alot of folks here hunt with setters.. I love the old style Irish Setter and there is a lot of folks hunting with the English as well on here...

Just getting a hard time from all the GSP's
But, the wayI see it nothing can beat a good old fashion setter...Just think those show people are looking at the GSP now... We Irish hunters have learned alot from those show people already... By the wayI had a litter back almost 7 weeks ago and one of the pups had started pointing on his own at 4 weeks old. I haven't had anytime to train him tho and now at 7 weeks he is still pointing on things he doesn't yet know.. If I can get the time I will try an get a pic up for you..
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 AM

I've got a smaller orange belton. He's a hard working, classy gundog. He's 7yrs old, and one hell of a grouse and woodcock dog. He loves people too. At camp he is happy to snuggle with whoever is on the couch closest to the fireplace. Good luck getting him off your lap.

As happy as I've been with him, I don't know (doubt) my next dog will be a setter. I started with springers, and love shooting over a well trained flushing dog. I'm considering getting a lab as well. Of course, after Fridays performance, 9 grouse and 5 woodcock contacts in about 3 1/2 hours ( exellent for late season in Massachusetts), it's hard to consider another breed. I must admit; I've been intruiged by the red/Irish setters. Hmmm.....??
Old 11-27-2007, 02:36 PM

I have one named Rocco.