Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

cold weather

Old 09-21-2005, 12:05 PM

Default cold weather

How well can a quality reurve stand up to cold weather? I live in Saskatchewan,Canada and I like spending time hunting rabbits in the winter and it can get down to -20celcius on days that I will go out on. Will a recuve be able to with stand those temps.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: cold weather

I'm not liking this new forum setup much. Can't cut and paste quotes any more and sometimes the blasted submit button doesn't work at all.[:@] Do a search for 'cold weather' in the traditional forum, then scroll down to read Lilhunter's reply in a thread titled "Temperature Ranges."

This is something I know nothing about, since 'cold' here in north Texas means 'below 30." [8D]
Old 09-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I'm not liking this new forum setup much. Can't cut and paste quotes any more and sometimes the blasted submit button doesn't work at all.[:@]
Hear hear...
Old 09-22-2005, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man alive, I dont know why I need to turn norton COMPLETELY off to log into this place hence the reason I dont come around anymore. Too much crap to pick up with it off. I did see this though and thought I might jump in on it. What's the deal with this, so far no one has been able to give me a hand here (anywhere from no response to not sure), mod or admin.....

Yes a bow will be just fine. Some finish's dont do so well in extreme cold though you shouldn't have problems, I only know of two companys that have had this issue and both have figured things out (we think).

I will say I do draw my bow in the cold weather fairly often. Some of it's to keep the bow moving and not completely freeze (or deep freeze) and some of it's to keep myself limber enough to make the shot if one were to present itself. Lastly it's to make sure all of my bulky items are outta the way should a shot happen. I do shoot as much as possible more so in these conditions then any other time of year when possible, again to confirm I can even draw and nothing is getting in the way mainly but also to stay warmed up and in tune with how things are going to work so when the shot DOES someday happen again, it's second nature. My clothing starts off with fleece early season, goes to wool later in the season, then some serious layering under the wool as the merc really drops. Have hunted in over -40f (not sure the C difference), and so far so good. Some self nocks did split but I wasnt sure if it was from poor craftsmenship at the time or the cold. Some of my old mercury speed nocks also gave out. Both istances was shooting hares and all the arrows were 2nd's or beaters I keep on hand for grouse in the trees shots where recovery of arrows is around 50%.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lilhunter - I have Norton running and have no problem.

Steve

Old 09-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Lilhunter - I have Norton running and have no problem.

Steve
Me too.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Norton has turned into junk. Uses too much processor capacity, too much hard drive space, plays too many devious little games with you and lets too much nasty stuff get through. There are much better anti-virus and firewall programs out there now.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur,

What one would you recommend.

Sorry to hock this thread but this is the exact problem I am having, others can run it np, I have to completely turn it off and still have issues posting. Tried now with it off a handful of times trying to get this one posted....ugg.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm using an anti-virus called BitDefender and the firewall that's built into Windows XP. Plus I've got a couple of spyware killers that I run every few days. Ad-Aware and Aluria. Ad-Aware is a free download and is very good. Got Aluria in a package deal when I bought BitDefender. I did a lot of internet research on different AV programs and firewalls, and this is the combo that works best for me. I don't get nearly as much gunk on my 'puter now as I did with Norton.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id like to believe they will...contact the manufacturer just to be sure..warranty issues and the like