Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Ears care in GSP

Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Ears care in GSP

Due to the possibility of ear infection if they swim a lot and get wet in their ears, what is the prevention you would recommend?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Ears care in GSP

I monitor ears all the time. Watch for excess dirt or wax. Good indication is a dog who is constatnly shaking their head or scratching at their ears. The ear once infected does have a rather sour smell.

NowI just monitor and do really nothing. If I suspect a problemI will clean ears out with a saline rinse and a swab. If it persists I use Panalog cream I purchased from my vet.

Long haired dogs are more prone to this than your GSP. But if any question contact your vet.

Once I bath my dogs - I always wash ears.....they don't like it ....but I do it anyhow...

JW
Old 09-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: laufer303

Due to the possibility of ear infection if they swim a lot and get wet in their ears, what is the prevention you would recommend?
my lab is in river everyday and never had ear infection...
Old 09-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

The ears of our Shorthair get bothersome after a bath. The vet gave me some drops to put in them whenever we see her digging at them. She is a good sport about it and even enjoys when I rub the inside of her ears with my finger. Never had a dog like this before!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

GSP is real nice dog, for sure..
secret to better ears is to get air into them..
i tied my sisters dogs ear back over so air could get into them with rawhide shoelace..
it was better next day, some dogs ears do not let air into canal and bacteria grows if wet....
Old 09-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

As most knowI have the Irish and ear care is important for them. WhatI use is form the vet, it is called VET Ear Cleansing Solution. It also helps get rid of the ear wax and odor from the ears. A good nose and ears on ahunting dog is important.. Good Luck
Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Any floppy ear breed is more prone to ear infections. GSP's don't have the thicker coat problems that other breeds tend to have. If you think your dog's ear canal looks small or big for his/her body then you might really want to watch it (esp if on the small side).
A good diet is important in overall health.
I keep the hair clipped away from the ear canal to prevent a nice hostile environment for yeast and bacteria which cause the bulk of ear problems. I also use an ear cleaner or wash which acts as a drying agent after our dogs go into lakes and ponds (once a week during the busy part of training/hunting/trialing). It really helps keep the infections down. I also clean the canal with a piece of gauze to remove any visible wax (usually brown in dogs).I have been fortunate to have only a couple of ear infections in the past 12 years with our dogs and those were usually when the older dogs came to us...
Just check your dog over once a week and you'll be aware of changes in his/her body. Check feet, teeth/gums, ears, etc and you'll be aware of potential problems sooner. I try to brush my guys out when I do this and trick the old one into a nail trim when she needs it....Our 9 year old female would tell you that daily ear rubs prevent them too