Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Coon hounds

Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Coon hounds

Anyone out there have any coon hounds? I have a 16 month old treeing cur and am wondering if i could still train her to hunt and tree coon?

thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 11:01 PM

Default RE: Coon hounds

I have mountain curs. If your cur has "it" in her then you should start taking it hunting. I am guessing you'll be just fine if the dog has it. Try hunting squirrels with the pup while you are at it! The dog should not be too old at all, so all you can now is see. I bet you'd be surprised at some of the things your dog could figure out on its own as well as with a little help.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:22 AM

in short, yes.

There are a couple of houndsmen forums online. You can learn ALOT on those sights. Also, there's an excellent book called Walk With Wick. It's kinda the coonhunter's bible. Check it out.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to ccondawgs.com forum, way more educated coo hunters.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:19 PM

Bryant,

I may misunderstand ya, but are you saying these replies are uneducated or just referring him to a more extensive source? I will say this about hunting tree dogs...it is not a casual hunter's sport. Starting and finishing a tree dog is a commitment that can be challenging and frustrating, but rewarding. Also, it gets in your blood. If you say you are going to start going and you actually do start going, it gets fun really quick even when your dogs aren't the best. You will end up putting some time and money into the sport, maybe even some tears. But it is fun. The other thing that needs to be considered here is that you said you have a treeing cur as opposed to a hound, yet your question seems to pertain to houndsmen. That can mean several things, and quite possibly could mean this dog will hunt nothing like a hound. But a good start in seeing just what it will do is to take it hunting...a bunch...with littleexpection that it will do anything at first.You can get into some other ways of starting the dog if that alone does not work, and there is a real possibility it may not. At the same time, this dog could be a hunter's dream that needs little help aside from a ride to the nearest stand of woods.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about the typing errors, www.coondawgs.com

I just didn't think there was many coon hunters here. Sorry, just trying to help him seek more information. That site ismainlycoon hunters. I've been coon huntingseveral times and love it.

Mike,
didn't mean anythingabout uneducated hunters, just didn't think there would be connhunters here. Sorry if I offended you!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

i have started and finished a couple dozen hounds and as stated above, if you are wanting to train this hound it will have to be a comitment (5nihgts a week on ave) i would extremely reccomend walk with wick volume 1 and 2 if this is your first.yes your cur can be started but he is behind the ball a little.go to ukcdogs.com and click on their forum. there are tons of very helpfull people there in your area who im sure would gladly help!good luck
Old 09-02-2007, 09:51 AM

I have to agree about www.coonhounds.com being a great site also. Drew, the guy that runs that place, built our website for us and I can say he's a great person that really likes helping people out. I don't know a lot about hounds, but have been hunting a few times with a black and tan breeder and had a blast.