Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Brit won't use her nose

Old 08-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Brit won't use her nose

Birdy isn't an issue. She is very very birdy. She just isnt' finding them with her nose. Let me explain what she does right now. I have her heeling, I can get her to whoa (still needs some work), she comes, she will hold on whoa until I release her most of the time, she will point birds if she sees them before they fly. She will fetch frozen quail no matter how far I throw them (not sure how she is finding them sometimes with out using her nose). I've gotten her pretty well sound conditioned.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:27 AM

What state are you in? an all the other stuff she will do doesnt mean diddly if the nose an her brain is not a team. Lets say you put a quail out, dizzy up real good, and you let it sit for lil bit, and you go in a get it up.....when you go get the dog what does it do....does it show some sort of acknowledgement that the bird is or was in there.
OK here is a god test for you, get a bird, quail or pigeon prolly be easiest.....you take an put the bird down in grass, lets say ankle to shin deep, I want you to place it in an area where the scent should hang around....even if its a hole in the grass with taller grass around.....you put it in there try an dizzy if you can, 1st time have bird in, an then get it to flush....grab the dog an walk her in the area, get no closer than two foot before you hit the spot where the bird was....see what she does, walk a big circle around, if no wind. I want you to understand and others........people get in a big hurry to have a bragging tool.......whoa dont mean diddly it is one of the most abused words in the dogs world. All it usually does is create a buncha boogers somewhere in the training program. It is a control issue on desire for the bird in 99% of all cases...Guys bring dogs here an have it so called whoa broke.......I say ok, will it point?? uuuuuh sometimes. Most of the time its dad pointing.... an stoppin the dog to let it watch. Not a safety issue either, here works as well as whoa, if the dog can hear whoa....it can hear the word here. So now that all thats in thought, set the dog up an lets do our own tests an see what we can figure out. K?? Thanks Jonesy
Old 08-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

Actually, a friend'sblack labis the same way. Rescue dog at three years old, won't use his nose. She says the dog is dumb, I say, the dogtrained you to think it's dumb. Throw a treat at it, the dog won't even try to find it. Why not? Because you'll always throw another.

Oneway to get the dog into training birds is game farms. Where I go its about $6-$7/chukar so 1/2 a dozen of them comes tojust over $50.They don't have bob whites, which would be better and cheaper. If there's another dog theresometimes you can rent,do so. Sometimes, a young dog will learn from an older experienced dog. Make sure wind conditions are right and your walking into the wind. Heat can also play a major role in finding birds, if the dog's panting, he's not using his nose.

Personally, I would stop the yard training for a bit and concentrate on the problem at hand. If the dog can prove to you that it still knows and obeys then it's enough.

Dizzing a bird: I don't know about how to dizzing a pigeon but with bobwhites we used toput the heads under their wing, hold it that way and with both arms swing the bird around like a clock; 12 is over your head, 3 is on your right, etc. Continue this for about1/2 a minute. Then lay it gently into the grass. Others like toturn the bird over and strokethe belly. It's been many years since I've done it though.