Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Which Dog to Get

Old 08-23-2007, 10:48 PM

Default RE: Which Dog to Get

I would agree with your statemnts there. I have heard that the GSP can be a little harder to train. I would also agreee, as I have stated in other posts taht they are both great on birds ( I guess that is why i have narrowed my search to these 2 ) the shedding thing is somewhat important to my wife. She things my Basset Hound sheds alot. One of the other traits that I like a little better with the GSP is their inherent GUARD DOG traits. They tend to be more protective. A setter might bark at a stranger, but generally will do less to stop one. And, I have also heard that GSP are generally better for the occasional duck trip too than the setters. However, since I don't do as much duck hunting as I would like to, that is something that I can overlook.
See, I am trying to look at this inthe best way. I have thought alot about what I want from ,my dog. Just lust trying to get that last little insight on both breeds before I take home a puppy. (though, most likely, it will be a GSP)
Old 08-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Typical Buck

I throw this in to really confuse you; you already owned a setter before so you already know the personality, training methods, etc. to owning a setter. You will most likely not need any professional advice if something comes up with a setter. On the other side, if you get a gsp, do you really know versatile training? If hunting and you come across a deer or raccoon, and the dog takes off, do you encourage it or supress it? (I've never owned one so I don't know.) Did I make your choice harder?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:24 AM

That doens't really confuse me. Sure, i have owned a setter, and it has been about 12-13 years now. I am going to be a but rusty one way or the other in the training department.I understhand the basics, though I can behonest enogh to say tha tI will be askng for some advice from my breedre and others that I know.I have a strong enough background and understanding that I think I can manage a GSP. As for other furry critters. I am not sure yet whether I would enecourage or discourage. I have talked to one guy who managed to get his GSP to where it would work the birds. Might take a short (20-30 yd exploratory snif) for that other scent, but was good about getting back to birds. That might present a challenge for me. But, there will be challenges for any breed. Just different.
this doesn't really make the decision harder. Ihave experience from a past setter. I am also a little older and have learned that although the setter is a great dog, there might be another out there that better suites ALL the needs. upland, waterfowl, companion, and family watch/guard dog. Seems that the GSP fills ALL these roles just a little better. The setter might have an advantage on upland, I don't really know. I have heard arguements both ways. But the GSP, from what I know will waterfowl for me, will make a great companion / pet, good with the family (all things that the setters do as well) and a guard dog. Just a little more family protective, and less coat maintenence. I've said it before, it is just wher i live and the huntig and locaiton i will hunt in that is dictating the type. If i was still up north, and did more cold weather waterfowl, and less upland, then a lab would e the dog. But that isn't the case.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

a guard dog. Just a little more family protective, and less coat maintenence.
I discourage making a good hunting dog a guard dog, however some of todays setters are trained for drug and guard dogs as well. As I stated before it is what you train them for as well, as the type of training you preffer..
Old 08-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

i only saw 1 GSP hunting for pheasants, he was so far out in front of his owner, owner was mad and blowing whistele etc..
i have friend who hasa GSP,he said he hunts grouse find BUT he said he gets way out to far and go after deer or raccoons..

i never heard that with LEWELLIN SETTER..

like MITE said, i think GSP will taker more training,just from what i read...

GSP looks like nice dog to me,one i saw pheasant hunting was scared to death of me,i guess i am ugly?

but,my next dog will be a LEWELLIN SETTER ,small,real birdy, dont bark and good with kids etc..
hunt CLOSE,not as much hair as the ENGLISH SETTER ..

so, if you want a dog that covers LOTS of territory, get GSP..
if you want dog that hunts close,get LEWELLIN SETTER...

me, my days of running after dog wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out there flushing birds out of sight are history, thats for young legs and days when no one shot at your dog..

today i want a dog that will hunt close and hunt what i train them for and that is 2 dogs to me, SMALL LONG LEGGED FIELD AMERICAN LAB OR LEWELLIN SETTER...

Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

A GSP will not take more training; you will just be focusing on different issues than you would with a Setter.

I think you'll end up with a GSP, but you might want to look into getting one that comes from a breeder who follows the German breeding methodology. With all the damage that the AKC has done to the GSP, unless you already know the breeder you want to work with, finding a good DK that has the greatest probability of meeting your expectations is going to be much easier than getting a GSP.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 PM

I know that there is alot of thought into the breeding here. Dave might breed one litter a year of GSP. The Sire comes from a long long line of champion field trial dogs. As well, I have talked to a GSP trial judge that is familiar with the lines as well. I am confident that I am getting a dog that has the inherent drive, and skills to give me a good BASE to start from. I know that blood lines are not everything. I fully understand that, however, IMO, it lays good groundwork to start from.

To Phil From Main
It is not my intention to make my bird dog a guard dog. From what I have read and researched, (I now this isn't true will all dogs...etc) the GSP more commonly then the setter are more weary of strangers. They are much more guarded, and tend to be more protective of their humans.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

a LEWELLIN SETTER ,small,real birdy, dont bark and good with kids etc..
Small: Yes, well mine is.

Real birdy: Yes, very much so.

Don't bark: Hell, no! Her enemy are cats. She'll go off, real crazy when she see's one. It's the chase in her. She once chased a cat under a car, the cat turned on her, and she tucked her tail and cried like the world was ending. The cat decided it was time to leave and sure enough, dog turned and gave chase, barking all the way.

Good with kids: She loves them (not tastes like chicken sort of way.)

Actually, there are a few breeders that are breeding for field trials. Big runners. But the majority of them are fairly close working. I've seen two young Llewellins in the field and they worked fairly the same distance as mine. They also have a tendancy to pace themselves morethan an english setter. My first e.s. ran her energy off in few hours then settled in to her range. My Llew will burn energy off much quicker but still be much more lively for the rest of the day.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 AM

get a pointing lab
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ildeercamp

get a pointing lab
why do you say that?more detail would be nice.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.