HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which Dog to Get
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 03:24 AM
kdvollmer

Default RE: Which Dog to Get

That doens't really confuse me. Sure, i have owned a setter, and it has been about 12-13 years now. I am going to be a but rusty one way or the other in the training department.I understhand the basics, though I can behonest enogh to say tha tI will be askng for some advice from my breedre and others that I know.I have a strong enough background and understanding that I think I can manage a GSP. As for other furry critters. I am not sure yet whether I would enecourage or discourage. I have talked to one guy who managed to get his GSP to where it would work the birds. Might take a short (20-30 yd exploratory snif) for that other scent, but was good about getting back to birds. That might present a challenge for me. But, there will be challenges for any breed. Just different.
this doesn't really make the decision harder. Ihave experience from a past setter. I am also a little older and have learned that although the setter is a great dog, there might be another out there that better suites ALL the needs. upland, waterfowl, companion, and family watch/guard dog. Seems that the GSP fills ALL these roles just a little better. The setter might have an advantage on upland, I don't really know. I have heard arguements both ways. But the GSP, from what I know will waterfowl for me, will make a great companion / pet, good with the family (all things that the setters do as well) and a guard dog. Just a little more family protective, and less coat maintenence. I've said it before, it is just wher i live and the huntig and locaiton i will hunt in that is dictating the type. If i was still up north, and did more cold weather waterfowl, and less upland, then a lab would e the dog. But that isn't the case.