Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

stupid snake!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 AM

Default RE: ******* snake!

ORIGINAL: sproulman

those porcupine quills are nasty.

i found a way to get them out without going to vet.
have someone put a towel over your dogs eyes then take a RAWHIDE SHOELACE and tie his mouth shut.

most of quills are usually on outside ,not on tongue.
bad ones are deep inside their nose.

PGC released FISHERS which kill the porcupines.
I hate porcupines not only because i trouble spelling the name but.
Going Up North to the Dakotas and Canada I have run into them more than i want to remember.
It is a crazy thing, It seems that when a dog gets a hold of one it starts to hunt them after that. Over the years I have spent many a day pulling the quills out with a pair of pliers orforecepts (sp) I have even had dogs come home and a quill will apear out of nowhere a couple months after.
Normally when they get on one they come back or you find them looking like santa clause with pom poms on their front feet. I found allot of quills in their moutn all the way down in their throat. It is a challenge and requires some ace to get the dog relaxed enough to work on them in some cases. I have also had to take them to the vet for x-rays to get the ones broken off you can't see. I don't know why they were put on the earth but, they are easy to kill. I have hit many of them in the head with a snap hook on the rien and they die easily.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

for some reason this summer i keep running into rattlers and porkies ugggghhh
Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 PM

If you cut the ends off the quills with a pair of sissors they will deflate and come out much easier with less painto the dog.I had a dog eat one quills and all. We got most of them out down his throat as far as possible and just had to wait to see if his stomach obsorbed the rest. He was lucky he made it but he was never quite the same. I know the cutting the ends really works well.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

dale,

Have you ever tried to get your dog to blink a porcupine?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

most of quills are usually on outside ,not on tongue.
bad ones are deep inside their nose.
I have to agree with Dale H on this one. I have found them everywhere on them, and it's a hard time when 2 grown men have restle a dog in order to get them out. I also agree with walksinair at cutting the ends of them off, but the dog still doesn't like it very much. Still though they will go back at them again if happen to come across any of them.[:@]
Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 AM

ORIGINAL: mustad

dale,

I have fried them with the collar when they got close. Have jumped off the horse and burried their nose in the ground were thething was and beat them with a flushing whip. All to try get the dog toblink or get the hell away from them. It works on some, certainly not on the hard headed dogs. For some reason thefight is worth the pain.
I am guilty too, I have been in the moment of glory formonths of pain.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PA GOBBLER

for some reason this summer i keep running into rattlers and porkies ugggghhh
i see you are from pa too.

we dont hunt in afternoon anymore in grouse or pheasant season early in season.its to warm.

just to many snakes.

my dog last week got bit on head with snake in my yard.

his head got huge,he was sick.

it only lasted a day, thank god.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: daleh

ORIGINAL: mustad

dale,

I have fried them with the collar when they got close. Have jumped off the horse and burried their nose in the ground were thething was and beat them with a flushing whip. All to try get the dog toblink or get the hell away from them. It works on some, certainly not on the hard headed dogs. For some reason thefight is worth the pain.
I am guilty too, I have been in the moment of glory formonths of pain.
if you find low hugging pine trees to ground, that is favorite place for porcupine,the ones where you can see under trees dont seem to have as many.

i dont hunt pine trees until bout 9 am here in pa .

the porcupines seem to hide then but first crack of morning around pine trees and you will see PORKY.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:37 PM

looks like someone needs sum revenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!poor doggies

Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Default RE: stupid snake!

Im sorry to hear about your dogs... but i think they have snakeproof dog fest at bassproshops and cabelas you might want to check those places out...