Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Water dog???

Old 05-08-2007, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Water dog???

How do i get my black lab to like the water and swim in it frrely? Right now he just skirts the edges of the lake. I have had another dog with him that went swimming. He just sits on the bank and watches. Is there a way to break him in?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Water dog???

Depends on the age of the dog. How old is he?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 AM

I try an find a creek that is pretty wide, and walk the dog, sometimes with older dog, and have a play day. I do my association in 2-6 in of water first then just slowly build from there. And also some retrievers are not fans of water, most are but some arent, so just keep that in back of the head. You start out small, it will work into something big as time, age, and confidence build with water. Cya Jonesy
Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: losthwy

Depends on the age of the dog. How old is he?
Not only age, but water temperature as well.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best way I think is to have his favorite retrieving toy and throw it on land a couple times, then in the shallow water a few times, and keep workin it farther out into deeper water till he is swimming. He won't even realize he is doin it cuz he will just be thinkin about gettin his toy and bringin it back. Thats how I have started my labs. WCL
Old 05-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Labs....wait to the water gets warmer then play around with him in shallow water...throw a few bumpers.i'm sure it won't take long for him to react....most labs take to water naturally...Honkers
Old 06-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

my lab dove in river in dec with ice etc when he was 6 months old..i almost had heart attack,he was swimming around in circle..

i caught up to him about 1 mile away and used a painters pole with fishing net to get him..

i was very stupid to let him near water then in winter..

well, now he swims at midnight in river,dives 20 ft off bank to get in..he even dives for stones you throw in..

very strange for lab not to like water,my neighbor has a lab that hates water but he took him to creek when water was 30 degrees or colder..

i would wait for warmer water, go out in water with his toy and out he will come..
Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

My last lab was the first one I had who didn't instantly take to the water. I dawned my waders and carried him in there with me. After that no more problem.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

My last lab was the first one I had who didn't instantly take to the water. I dawned my waders and carried him in there with me. After that no more problem.
that works, thats how my dad got me to swim..
i find as i get older that more time you spend with dog correcting their problem, the better it will be..

it took me 1 year for my dog to let me touch his paws without growling..first 3 months he showed his teeth, next 3,he grinned on front, next 3,he front lip wiggled a little, now, he lets me touch them without any problem.

time will correct most dogs not a 44 mag..
Old 06-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Don't force him or he will never like the water. Put on your waders make a big fuss over him and run into the water he will eventually follow. If he has a toy he really loves get him VERY excited about it and toss it a few feet into the water. if he gets it toss it a little further next time. He's a lab he will swim if you don't force him.