Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

need help from you guys

Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default need help from you guys

I don't post very often but like to read and take advantage of all the good advice everyonegives. I have an 11 month old chessie that I have been working with. The problem is that she likes to retrieve the bumper but won't bring it back. In water she will usually drop it at the bank and on land likes to run around with it. When I try to call her to me, she drops it.This is only the second dog I have worked with so my skills aren't up to pro status. Also don't know if this hasanything to do with it, but she has not been force fetched. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need help from you guys

How old is the dog? And have you been following any regimented training routines?

And is the dog trained for basic obedience?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

11 months old, has basic odedience, sit, stay, come etc. I read books and watchvideos and incorperate what I think is best.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:38 PM

try this, when she has the bumper, take and let her carry, might try and not say name, just a sorta woo hoo, alright girl....she is used to you getting it as soon as done, so let her carry, should be able to build from that. She will question why you are walking away, and try and pop up out front, she will want to show it off, let her...then kneel down and see if she will hold till she gets there.....she might, and might not........so if she does, take and let her hold, andI take my left hand, and thumb under the chin, to help the hold, and pet for little bit, then reach for and tell it to drop. It will take a little bit, but work her through it. Let me know what happens after week or so. We can build from the response on her ok?? thanks Jonesy
Old 03-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

vander,

What training program are you following?

Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Doc E, can't say I'm following any one training program. Just tryto do what I think will work best. Basically my dog won't bringthe bumper back. How do I solve this. Also she doesn't seem to like the little knobies on the bumper.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vadeerkiller

1. Doc E, can't say I'm following any one training program.

2. Just tryto do what I think will work best.

3. Basically my dog won't bringthe bumper back. How do I solve this.

4. Also she doesn't seem to like the little knobies on the bumper.
You say you read books and watch DVDs/Videos. What training books and DVDs/Videosdo you have?

1. There's your problem.

2. Good training must follow a sequential process. Learning "A" leads to "B", and when put together, it leads to "C". You can't properly train a dog with helter skelter methods.All good training programs follow a specific sequence of events.

3. By following a good training program.

4. Tough. A dog should pick up, hold and fetch whatever you say with no questions asked.