Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

training a dog tips

Old 02-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default training a dog tips

i never had a dog before. i want to train it do do some stuff like stay, sit, etc. other big one thing he jumps up on you. how can you keep them from doing this?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:20 PM

Default RE: training a dog tips

when i was training my american pitbull to sit and shake hands he was 10 weeks old and i would give him dog treats, but i broke them in half, and started off by having him sit, i would have to press on his butt to get him to sit, make him do it for a maybe 15-20 seconds and then reward him with a treat. They will learn it after some time, just takes practice. Shaking hands was the harder part but after he learned sitting, i'd have him sit first and grab his paw and say SHAKE SHAKE! he learned that pretty fast. Hes learning his ATTACK command very well right now Just messin lol.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dogs can be trained in differnt methods. Treats work for some, other will refuse after you think they are trained when they don't get a treat.

Sit: hold a treat in your hand, say sit and bend you arm over at the elbow, the dog will naturally sit.

Stay: tell the dog to stay and walk away if it moves take them back and tell it to stay...reward if they stay.

Down: Same as sit move the treat toward the floor.

Release: tell the dog to drop, release, or leave it and then blow in it's ear.

If the dog jumps on you, knee it in the chest and say No. it will break the dog of jumping.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Do yourself and him a favor and enroll in an obedience class.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:59 AM

I agree with Mr. Fischer above... A six to eight week obedience school in my area runs about $125. It's not so much the instructor teaching your dog, it's the instructor teaching YOU to teach your dog. You have to stick with it and do your homework (which is just spending time with pooch, practicing). You'll see results.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

The worst part of teaching them not to jump is your friends coming over and letting them. You tell your pup to get down and they say" oh no it's alright " can ruin every thing you are trying to teach them. So they need to understand what you are trying todo in the begining. I also recomend what Don said as well. Here we have no clases closer than 100 miles from here so I have to resort to different ways of teaching. I believe in making a game out of it to keep the pups interest up. When the pup does good let your pup know this. If not doing good give up for a little while and try again later. Also keep it down to 15-20 minutes at a time so as not to confuse your pup. Good Luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

An obedience class taught by an experienced trainer is probably the best way to go. If you can't do that then look for the book " NO BAD DOGS THE WOODHOUSE WAY" or " DOG TRAINING MY WAY" both written by Barbara Woodhouse. The books were written in the late 70's and at that time Barbara Woodhouse had 30 yearrs of training experience under her belt. Her methods are simple and easy to learn. I have used her methods to train my dogs in obedience for at least 20 years. If youy can't get her books then visit your local library or book store and see what is available. May be you can find a video. Seeing techniques being applied might make it easier for you to see how training is done before you attempt it yourself. Another thing that works for me is that once the dog knows the basic commands of sit,down, come, and stay I use these commmands every chance I get. We still do short sessions specifically for reinforcing what has been learned but by using the commands in your every day dealings with the dog he is having his training reinforced as a part of his every day life. No matter what training tools you decide to use the most important thing to remember is to be consistant in you commands and actions at all times. Consistancy in training is the most important ingredient to successful training.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Obedience training for what you want to use the dog for. (eg. hunting, protection, etc.)

If you can't afford that, buy a good book for training.

Above all, remember your pup wants to please you, and CONSISTANCY is the biggest key!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deerhunter1224

i never had a dog before. i want to train it do do some stuff like stay, sit, etc. other big one thing he jumps up on you. how can you keep them from doing this?
What kind of dog?

As far as jumping on people, a method that works even better than the knee in the chest is for you (actually EVERYBODY) grab the front paws and squeeze pretty darned hard while pushing the dog backwards.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:55 PM

I am not an expert but, here is my opinion. I have trained 2 labs , 1 GSP and 1 English Pointer. Keep everthing simple, you should not have to tell the dog to "stay", if you give the sit command, whoa command or any other the dog should do just that until released. However, do not use "OK" for the release, pick something that peolple do not use alot in normal conversation. I learned this by experience, if you are hunting alot of people say "OK" alot and the dog heres this and releases. About jumping, I tell people not to lean down to pet the dog right away, let the situation calm down. If he jumps while you are standing, tell the person to turn directly away from the dog. Most times the dog wants attention and if turn away he will not jump. I know this sound crazy but we use the command 4 on the floor. We will not feed the dogs if they are jumping, we repeat 4 on the floor and feed only when all the paws are on the ground, once in awhile somebody might nt get fed that time, but they all learn quick. Then move this command on to greeting people. If they totally do not listen, we lean over and hold the dog down on his side and growl on the side of there neck, they will all give in and sigh.That is the time to let them up.All the puppies we have had begin to think you are a dog and leader of the pack. I have down this in some silly places, but it works and will keep working thru out the dogs life.

I like the following tapes: Obedience by Dan Mar( this works with any dog), Dan Mar "Gun Dog Training", Training Pointing Dogs 1&2 by George Hickox, Training Upland Flushing Dogs by George Hickox. A excellent book is " The Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog" by Delmar Smith

I have taught the neighbors dogs to healin notime using the "half hitch " method by Dan Mar and aslo with Rick Smiths "Wonder Lead".

Just my thoughts. You do not have to follow only one school of thought for training. Use what works for you. I have even had success with clicker training like they use for Dolphins with some things.

Good Luck

Jeff

Quick Reply: training a dog tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.