Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 (update) Opinions needed... 1 pup or 2 >

(update) Opinions needed... 1 pup or 2

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

(update) Opinions needed... 1 pup or 2

Old 02-17-2007, 07:45 AM

Default (update) Opinions needed... 1 pup or 2

Originally, my husband and Iwere set to pick up a little yellow Lab female the first week of March. We had "pick of the litter" due to my husband hunting with the sire's owner and the owner of the male passing his "puppy" on to us. We had decided on a female because we keep hearing from upland hunters that a female "is the way to go". We had also been looking at a male who we know is going to be a "chip off the ol' block". However, after playing with the litter over the last couple weeks,the femaleis seeming to be more timid and a little more aloof. We used a "puppy aptitude test" with both pups and determined that the male was probably more suited to the purpose of hunting than she. So, we put our name on the little guy instead. The difficulty is that we have grown attached to the female and would consider getting her also. I would like to take both puppies home and my hubby is hesitant.

So, what is your opinion? Is bringing home two puppies from the same litter too much? Is it a good thing?

My arguments for both are...
~we can dispell the theories of females being better than males out in the field because both dogs will be raised in the same environment, have the same training, breeding, etc.
~the two dogs will have a companion to play with while we are at work (I am a teacher so I will have the summers off and will be home usually by 3:30pm)
~hubby would have two dogs to work the fields... complains when there's only one
~there's plenty of love and time to be given to each dog for training

So... please weigh in... your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Oh, and to add... we will not be breeding either of the puppies as we will be spaying/neutering them. No backyard breeding from us... would rather have quality kennels breeding quality dogs.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Spike

Default .

Old 02-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Spike

Default RE: (update) Opinions needed... 1 pup or 2

ORIGINAL: HuntinWidow
So, what is your opinion? Is bringing home two puppies from the same litter too much? Is it a good thing?
If they were beagles,or squirrel dogs no. But two Lab pups at one time is a handfull and may be too much for any amateur trainer once they start growing. Also, unless very well trained, two retrievers in the same blind or boat is asking for trouble.
As for male or female; one won't be any better than the other. Just different. A female may be easier to train and work with for a first time retriever or hunting dog trainer. A well trained mature male will have a certain physical "edge" that I prefer. But a female can have just as much fire and desire.
I always go with male hunting dogs. I prefer that ballsy edge that they can exhibit.
I have trained hunting dogs for forty years and know what to do when a male hits that period between 12 & 18 months where they put you to the test of wills. The period where alot of amateur trainers give up and fail to bring a dog up to its bred-in potential.
I would recomend a female pup for the first time, or realatively inexperienced hunting dog trainer. Unless you plan to have it professionally trained by someone. Then it really doesn't matter.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought all of this was discussed in the other thread.?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Yes, and no, Doc E. I updated our position (as far as what pup we were taking and the reasons why)and was hoping for more opinions than two. Even though I greatly respect your views, I was hoping for several positions so I could better weigh the pros and cons.