Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab question

Old 02-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lab question

Ihad my Lab at one of my favorite waterfowl ponds and I saw a fellow with a rather small Choc Lab.I commented that she was a nice looking pup-he said she was 6yrs old-probably 50# soaking wet.My Choc. Maggie comes in at 120#.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:12 PM

i cant believe spoulman hasnt commented on this... he is a big fan of small labs
Old 02-12-2007, 05:33 PM

I've got a male chocolate who will be 3 the end of March, and I believe the heaviest he's been is 75 lbs. Which I believe to be perfect. He can bust through the cattails, but also worm his way around underneath low hanging brush. And when he jumps on the bed and flops down, on "his side", it's nice that I still have some room....
Old 02-12-2007, 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Reefdonkey

Ruddy,

Are those the AKC showing requirements or did you get that from somewhere else? I only ask because it seems like most of the Labs that I see these days are larger than that on average. Like I said Kate is around 75 lbs. and I have never considered her a large lab.
75lbs isa pretty good sized bitch, alot if not most FT males run between 75-85lbs.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:42 PM

I'll third the vote for James Lamb Free. Never found anything in that "other writer's" books that was Revolutionary. Oop's don't want to start trouble.

In my observations, a 75 lb field trials dog is lean and if a different hunter had it that was feeding/working the lab a different way, that same lab would be nearly 100 lbs.

Just like, I am sitting here at 220 lbs [:'(], but if I were in shape for a marathon, I'd be about 165 lbs.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

I'll third the vote for James Lamb Free. Never found anything in that "other writer's" books that was Revolutionary. Oop's don't want to start trouble.

In my observations, a 75 lb field trials dog is lean and if a different hunter had it that was feeding/working the lab a different way, that same lab would be nearly 100 lbs.

Just like, I am sitting here at 220 lbs [:'(], but if I were in shape for a marathon, I'd be about 165 lbs.

Your kidding right!? FT trial dogs are built like a brick sh!t house, nothing but pure muscle. What you should say is if you dont run a 75-80lb dog their is a good chance it will get fat and weigh 10-15 more than it should.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:27 AM

I have not read James Lamb Free's book, but I will now. I trained Kate using Richard A. Wolters "Water Dog" and really liked his methods. Has anyone eles used his book?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:05 AM

Crimson, Yes, FT dogs are strong, because they work. They are lean because of what they eat and don't eat. A friend of mine is a long distance runner. He STARTED running to lose weight. Then he said that really didn't work very good and since he was getting serious about running, he went on a diet to lose weight so he would be a better runner.

I think if you talk to any FTer you will find that their dogs have a very strict diet to keep them lean and mean.

Reefdonkey, I personally don't care forWolters because of the claims he makes of his techniques being revolutionary. I also absolutely do not buy into the "49 day" myth. In my opinion Wolters was a writer and obviously knew how to market his books. Do a search on him and you will find that he was also an expert in hang gliding and wrote a book or two about that also. Many of "his" techniques were actually very similar to what JLF's book has in it and JLF's book was written first.

Anyway, here is an article I found that made a lot of sense to me.

http://my.execpc.com/~crzy1ess/49Day.html

Now, having said all that, I do agree that much of the stuff Wolters wrote will work for a guy that wants a hunting dog.

Flame away!

Old 02-13-2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the info. cascadedad. I will defiantly check out JLF's book now.

Now that you mention it, I hadn't thought about the "49-day" thing. I would have to agree with you about that.