Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be? >

If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be?

Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 PM

Default If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be?

If you had to pick between an English Setter or a German Shorthair Pointer strictly for Grouse hunting what would you choose?

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 11-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be?

ORIGINAL: procos

If you had to pick between an English Setter or a German Shorthair Pointer strictly for Grouse hunting what would you choose?

Thanks,

Chuck
english setter..here is best of best..www.decoverlykennels.com,but take a look at pointing labs, they have my attention now..
Old 11-12-2006, 02:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be?

English Setter or a German Shorthair Pointer strictly for Grouse hunting
They are both great dogs on grouse and I would go for Setter as I like Setters. Another good choice is the Irish Setter if you can find the hunting lines.

Read about them here. www.miramichiinn.com This is not where mine had come from but are the same blood lines. Good Luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The ES is the original and ultimate Grouse Dog (said by a guy with a PL).

Old 11-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doc E

The ES is the original and ultimate Grouse Dog (said by a guy with a PL).

hey, i was reading some of your articles, your the man!!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Correct me if I am wrong but, is there not six Irish Setters in the American Field Hall of Fame? I realize the question is about the EnglishSetters and that setters are it for grouse IMO. I also realize the Irish was crossed alot of times with shows and other dogs to so called save them. But, could it be that some are still around and in a laid back way to preserve what was
one of the best hunting dogs around? To many have been ruin for looks and some now for brains so staying low keyed will protect them for the future to enjoy.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

my neighbor 20 years ago, they passed away had 2 irish setters..the NOSE on those dogs was something to see..i saw them hunt birds at high school when she walked them..

what a dog they were,red color, beautiful..
Old 11-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Well my GSP is out of the Mountains of Virgina both parents were Grouse dogs...10moths I had her in the UP of Mich and she did great...I have the pics to prove it!
Old 11-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hear a lot of good comments on GSP,actually more than i do on setters..here is the grouse group that made survey on what they felt was best grouse dogs..

1 st was setters
2nd was brittanys
3rd was gsp
4th was lab, yes folks, lab..

i could not believe that the llewellin setter was 9th,that was very strange..

my pick, LAB because they hunt CLOSE.. ole sproul is getting too old to run up those hillsides to catch up with those other POINTING dogs that hunt out 75/100 yds or MORE....
Old 11-20-2006, 03:46 AM
Typical Buck

This difference between an english setter vs. llewellin setter is negligable. Most setters have llewellin blood. This year at Ames, there were several setters with 90% llewellin blood. Those that took the poll prolly did not notice the difference or know what a llewellin was. The strain is Duke-Rhoebe-Laverack cross. It's only a separate registry because of historic reasons. That's why AKC, NAFTA, etc. don't recognize llews. Only AF does because American Fieldcame into existancewhen imported setters, especially those from Llewellin kennels in Scottland was winning field trials. The same pollers if asked who won the National Grouse Championship this year would say 'english setter' whereas in truth it was a llewellin.

Quick Reply: If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.