Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Started Dogs -Thoughts and Opinions >

Started Dogs -Thoughts and Opinions

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Started Dogs -Thoughts and Opinions

Old 11-09-2006, 07:52 AM

Default RE: Started Dogs -Thoughts and Opinions

Buying a started dog is no small thing, it takes time to find a trainer and strain that you like. This is not the only litter I will be having and I do have a waiting list if anyone is interested I can call or post the next litter that I have.
Personally, I am the only trainer I know of that will raise a puppy to do what you want it to do. Most trainers already have started dogs which are usually the left over pup's that they did not sell. I take the pick of the litter after careful consideration for what the owner is looking for. They are more than just started dogs, they are custom dogs...and they do POINT, solidly.
The dog I trained last year, points, waits for the flushing command and then retrieves for upland and he is steady to wing and shot, marks long distance as well as short and will blind retrieve for ducks as well.He has boat, kennel and in the house manners and was raised around children and well socialized.
I believe in training for any given situation, if you are going to pay that much for a dog you should be gettingan all around dog that can turn it on in the field and off at home.

and I am down to two available dogs now...time is ticking down for this litter...but there is always next season to think about, remember it takes a full year to raise and train a custom dog so what you order next fall will be in anticipation for the following hunting season.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Started Dogs -Thoughts and Opinions

you are right on STARTED dogs on most breeders,they are puppy that no one wanted..i had pick of 20 dogs,the one i wanted but did not take was one that was left over that no one wanted..

you figure on that..i took dog that came to me and brought my car keys to me..

if you got lab that points,thats BIG deal..