Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

German Shorthair

Old 11-16-2002, 12:47 AM

Default German Shorthair

We had one when I was a kid. My dad would hunt pheasant with her and said she was the best dog he had ever had. I would like to get one because of the short hair (I want it to be inside and I'm allergic to most long haired dogs and cats)and use it to hunt ringnecks and quail on our acerage. I would like to hear someother peoples thoughts on these dogs. Can they be used for duck hunting? Will the poor dog freeze to death because of it's short hair? I'm not a duck hunter but would like to try it someday.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:26 PM

Default RE: German Shorthair

Great dogs! I hunted with 4 today, my Bo and my buddy has
3. We shot 3 birds in about 2 hours in the pouring rain.
They do shed little short hairs,but are still great house dogs.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

My GSP is house trained but is kept mostly outside and we have hunted ducks and geese with him. If he is kept inside he will have a hard time with the cold when hunting as the condition of his coat is for an inside animal and lighter then that of an outside dog.

curt nulle
Old 11-18-2002, 03:22 PM

Get a GSP, you'll be glad you did. They will work just fine for ducks. If it's real cold where you live you can get a neoprene vest for them and it'll be fine. The Germans developed this breed to do all the different types of gun dog work a man could need so he would only need one dog.
My eight month old puppy will be going out with me in two weeks to retrieve Canada's for me when my season starts. He's a little high strung yet but he loves to swim and retrieve.

Edited by - Shorthair on 11/18/2002 16:23:21
Old 12-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

you can't hardly go wrong with the gsp only thing for ducks and geese over water when it's real cold mine will cross a creek in shallows some and make retrieves but they keep warm by moving so sitting in a blind may be tough for them