Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Not retreiving birds...

Old 10-27-2006, 07:57 AM

Default Not retreiving birds...

Had my 11 month old Lab out pheasant hunting for the first time last weekend. She did pretty good....but she would not return with the birds....she would find them and start to lick and eat feathers....keep the wings and tried training with just the wings and still has the problem of wanting to eat or not return with them.....we have worked on retrieves with the dummy and with doves but I guess the bigger birds taste better....any way to correct this?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Not retreiving birds...

Sure ---------- It's called Force Fetch.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

some labs will retreive for years then all of sudden stop and do as you say..i believe its because they want to hunt more than retrieve..

hunting is more important to that lab on that day..most labs if you say command to retrieve, they will but its pain in butt to be out there saying,BACK, BACK,ETC. also, most of us dont stop and wait for our dog to bring bird back to us..i did that and was losing birds do to them running after being shot..

if you stay in your place and say command for retreive,your dog should bring it back..mine stopped retreiving after i was always there to grab bird while he was pulling a few feathers out..

on publicland you dont have time to fuss with dog to bring bird back or some hunter will be there before you can get to bird at times..

i would suggest you go to preserve where you dont have other dogs and hunters ,you can leave bird for your dog to bring back to you..there you can take time to have the dog learn that this is what you want him/her to do..

on publicland, its not worth it and hard to do..
Old 11-02-2006, 07:08 AM

I was hunting my gun club and put out birds just for my dad and I to hunt and work the dog..
Old 11-02-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Legacy,
What training program are you following?
Have you FF your dog?

Old 11-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Save a few for her....and go back to basics meaning check cord and a few fetch commands...she's already retreiving...just enforce it....if that does'nt work...FF...Honkers
Old 11-29-2006, 06:10 PM

forced fetching will solve the problem. Unfortunately for Labradors, their retrieving has not been emphasized enough in breeding programs mainly of the backyard variety. End result, you have to train a retriever to retrieve instead of it doing it much more naturally. good luck
Old 11-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gspjeb

forced fetching will solve the problem. Unfortunately for Labradors, their retrieving has not been emphasized enough in breeding programs mainly of the backyard variety. End result, you have to train a retriever to retrieve instead of it doing it much more naturally. good luck
FF is about MUCH MORE than just good retrieving and good mouth habits.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Spike

Do you have any other dogs out there? A little competition might get her going...