Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed question

Old 04-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shed question

I have been scouting about 60% of my different hunt spots. I have found bedding areas, trails, funnels, scrapes, rubs, etc.....without a single shed.

Is there a cretain place where they seem to fall of, like in bedding areas, or do they fall off random?

I know of a few 8's in the area, and even saw a 10 last season, but cant seem to find any fall off's! [:@]
Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shed question

thay seem to fall wherever, i have found 2 in the middle of the woods 10 yards off the trail but, fence and creek crossings are the best places to find them
Old 04-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

I have been scouting about 60% of my different hunt spots. I have found bedding areas, trails, funnels, scrapes, rubs, etc.....without a single shed.

Is there a cretain place where they seem to fall of, like in bedding areas, or do they fall off random?

I know of a few 8's in the area, and even saw a 10 last season, but cant seem to find any fall off's! [:@]
Hey man don't feel bad Im the same way. Ive walked up and down some HUGE winter wheat fields and some old corn fields and haven't found a thing either. I don't get it. I have found skulls of several different animals, but no "deer bones".
Old 04-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Sheds can drop anywhere, but if you want to maximize your chances of finding that needle in a haystack, concentrate on where the buck will spend the majority of its time, the bedding areas,

yes, fields, paths to the fields (and other feeding areas) are good, but they deer don't (at least around me) spend the majority of the their days in these spots.

If you really want to make sure you are missing anything, you should really grid up an area and walk it out, and the walking should be a nice liesurely slow pace, with lots of stopping and looking back the way you came.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the winter he has one concern and thats feed. He wont move much either if he doesnt have too. In the spring, if he's still packing its still feed but he's made the winter and more likely to cover a little more ground ... still shed hunting is all about were the deer was feeding or moving to feed when he dropped.. What ever the predominate food source is at that time, thats where the bones will be. I found 7 this weekend all had been burried under Febuary's snow until now.. And all were congregated due to deep snow pushing the deer down into the thickest brush/browse patches on the mountain.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the winter he has one concern and thats feed. He wont move much either if he doesnt have too. In the spring, if he's still packing its still feed but he's made the winter and more likely to cover a little more ground ... still shed hunting is all about were the deer was feeding or moving to feed when he dropped.. What ever the predominate food source is at that time, thats where the bones will be.
Boom. Zing. POW!

Troy's the man homes... Find the food. The sheds will follow.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

exactly..also for some reason i have luck in CRP fields, not that they are bedding in them but i have had real good luck finding sheds in them.
ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

In the winter he has one concern and thats feed. He wont move much either if he doesnt have too. In the spring, if he's still packing its still feed but he's made the winter and more likely to cover a little more ground ... still shed hunting is all about were the deer was feeding or moving to feed when he dropped.. What ever the predominate food source is at that time, thats where the bones will be.
Boom. Zing. POW!

Troy's the man homes... Find the food. The sheds will follow.