Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 How do you get a dog excited about birds? >

How do you get a dog excited about birds?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How do you get a dog excited about birds?

Old 08-27-2006, 07:45 AM

Default How do you get a dog excited about birds?

I've got a 9 month old cross Lab/Brittany. She's a born retreiver, and has a pretty good nose although she's usually more of a visual retreiver. Yesterday I took her in the field to see what her reaction might be to "live" birds. She keeps her head down to track, but misses all the birds flying. When she sees a bird, she sometimes bumps them and other times she starts the point/creep. Igibbled a Wiskey Jack to see if that mightraise her alertness. She was excited butseemed somewhat affraid of the bird! (Good news isshe is not afraid of gun noise.) How do you get a dog to be more alert to birds?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How do you get a dog excited about birds?

Isn't that's what the dog is suppose to do? Sounds like your dog is doing what comes naturally, scenting birds. Because of the lab part in him, he'll bump birds unless you train him/her to be steady. BTW, sounds like you want the dog to notice birds in the air,for waterfowl or dove? Whatever you hunt, you need to define exactly what you want your dog to do and then atleast you have a goal to strive for.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:37 PM

Well you are right. I'm probably not clear in what I really expect the dog to do. Although she's a pretty good retreiver, I'd like her point or bump a bird as long as she's close. So far, she isn't too bad as far as distance goes. It just seems strange that she misses so many birds flying through her peripheral vision. Also, the gibbled bird got away without a chase??? I'm really not sure what that was all about. It didn't fly away but kind of rolled into a ditch/creek and then into thick bush. She isn't afraid of water, but she just didn't seem interested enough to give chase. It's strange because at other times she wants to catch anything that flies or crawls by.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you trained the dog on wing-clips?

Old 08-31-2006, 09:30 PM

I've used wing clips a bit. Mostly I have been using a canvas dummy with Grouse scent drops to give it scent. You figure its the feathers that make the difference?
Old 09-01-2006, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best way to get a dog to look out for birds is to have somebody out in the field throwing birds for you.
You need to give the dog a que ("Mark" is the most common) Then have the person shout "Hey Hey Hey" - when the dog is looking in their direction, have them throw the bird (dead is alright - or a dummy). The toss should be in a fairly low arc to begin with -- then later on, make the arc higher.
The throws should be left to right or right to left. No inward or outward throws until the dog gets the idea that it has to look "out there".
I'm a big believer in using live birds -- either wing clips or shot flyers at least acouple times a week. It really helps build the dog's enthusiasm.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:15 AM

Thanks Doc , I think she needs more exposure to live birds that won't get away too quick. I'll have to see what possibilities there are around here. One thing for sure, at least for this season I think I'll need to handle her when we take her out. I'll let the oldest son do the shooting while I concentrate on the dog.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:03 PM

i know it's off topic, but can you post a picture of your dog, I'd love to see it. Does it have brittany colors or lab colors?
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 AM

I just tried to post a picture, and of course the file is too large. I'll see if I can get it through some kind of link. She looks like a Chocolat Lab pup but is almost fully grown with a weight of about 47lbs which is Brittany in size. She has one white toe, and the slightest white beard if you're up close and personal.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:31 AM

Ok Joe, bear with me here, this is the first time I've tried this. Here are a couple of pictures ... if it works!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k31/aimiablerooster/Katereading.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k31/aimiablerooster/KateScenting.jpg

Quick Reply: How do you get a dog excited about birds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.