Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Kennel or chain

Old 04-28-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Kennel or chain

What do you use a kennel or chain for your dog and what is your reason?
Old 04-28-2004, 06:33 PM

Default RE: Kennel or chain

it is all in what you prefer. i like a chain. i like the one on one contact.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cajuncountry

What do you use a kennel or chain for your dog and what is your reason?
Do you mean where/how he stays when we aren't out training/hunting or at other times?
If you mean where does he stay most of the time that he's home ---- it's in a kennel run.
Too many horror stories about dogs getting hung/choked/injured when on a chain run.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:23 PM

Ditto. If pup is unsupervised I think a kennel is best. It is much safer.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:48 PM

The menace is in a 6X12 kennel run, the old dogs are allowed to roam around the backyard (inside the 5' fence) We really only tie them out when we travel. tie them to the trailer, or put stakes in the ground...
Old 04-29-2004, 10:28 PM

dogs can climb to easily out of kennels. pups handle better when chain broke. if used correctly with the right set up, there is no way of tangling or hanging.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:43 AM

IMO. Kennels are the only way to go unless you have a lot of dogs which might make cost too much. I have seen many dogs get to territorial when chained up most of the time. Also a kennel run is easier to clean and keep clean for parasite control. One more thing is that I have too much time, money and love tied into my dog to let him run and maybe get hit by a car. I have never had a dog killed on the road but when I have talked to others who say it is cruel to keep a dog locked up and later come to me crying because their dog just died on the road. Mine are with me when I am outside but when I am not home they are in the kennel.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:16 AM

Well I think the kennel is the way to go too. But if cost is a factor than I would think a chain would be just fine too.

Ny coyotedawgs said that dogs can climb out of kennal runs to easy

Well I dont know very many dogs that can climb straight up 6ft unless they are part cat. I have had them learn how to open the door on a kennel before, they just flip up the latch and are free. But there are very very few dogs that can climb the kennal wall I think there are a few that get on top of there dog house and jump over the wall but very few can or will do that.

But if you are looking at it safty wise either one has its disadvantages, chains can and do choke and kill dogs but I know of some cases where the pup got its leg through the chain link fence and either died or had get its leg amputated.

One other thing if you have them in a kennel there is less chance of someone getting bit. Even if your dog is not a bitter if it is behind a fence there is alot less chance of something like that happening then if it was on a chain. I dont know if you live in town or not but if you do I am sure that that sort of thing could very well come into play with a kid coming into the yard and if a dog is on a chain that kid might not know the limit of the dogs range but if it is in a kennel the dogs range is always behind the fence
Old 04-30-2004, 03:28 PM

I keep all my dogs in a kennel,for severak reasons. it is easy to keep clean,the perisites are easier to keep down, the dogs stay cooler, (I have a roof over mine).

as for climbing,I had two dogs that if there was not a top on the pen,you could not keep them in.my pens were 6' and they would climb over that with ease.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:15 PM

If you are using a kennel I would recommend putting a roof of some sort on it. My cousin's Brittney jumped/climbed out of it's six foot kennel several times, and even got out when they put a tarp over the top. It is now completely consealed by fence, and the dog no longer gets out.
They had to pay $75 twice when the dog got out because the pound caught him before they found him. So a good enclosure can pay for itself sometimes.

Quick Reply: Kennel or chain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.