Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog breeders

Old 02-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Dog breeders

Got a question for dog breeders. If you were to breed dogs for stamina and/or endurance mainly for running (any breed; mushers, greyhounds, hunting, etc.), is hyperactivity a result of or a consequence of such breeding or can calmness be bred separately? If you say consequence then what's the percentage of hyperactivity is based upon such breeding?

This is what I define hyperactivity. A dog which need to burn excess energy. If left alone indoors for a period of a couple of weeks or months, it will develop a habit of burning energy.

Calmness I define as the Mustlander (I believe) where it's common for the dog to lay all day long with the occasional 1/2 hour walks a few times a week.

I just want opinions as there will be differing answers. I talk to alot of breeders but alot of them talk of confirmation regarding running, high tail, etc. but this subject really don't get discussed.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:11 PM

Default RE: Dog breeders

I saw that no ones answered you so I thought I'd give you something to think on. Greyhounds are bred purely for speed and I have heard repeatedly that they are extremely laid back dogs who love to lay around the house all day.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:01 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for your reply. Interesting. I've met only a few greyhounds but one did need to burn off energy by running around in circles in the yard. It looked like a race track after awhile as the dog wore the lawn down to a beaten path.Friend's whippet (small greyhound) is also calm indoors but needs to be taken out everyday. Flashes across the yard like noone's business. It is the same with english pointers. Very calm if they get daily exercise but develop strange exercising habits if not. I once saw one that was kept kenneled and the dog would pace from one end to the other for hours. A large part of the day was spent pacing. I felt really bad for the dog.

So, as to greyhounds; the question would be: Will it still remain calm if kept indoors for a long period of time? Let's say a month.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not sure about the greyhound but, I have the Irish and one is
very hyper the other one is not that bad. One would lay around alot
more than the other one.And one paces steadily and wouldn't sit still
for five minutes.

However give them a chance to run and then they both are great dogs.
If no chance to run I don't think I would have a house left to come home
to. With the chance to run I don't think I could find a better dog nowhere.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:48 AM

I raise and train Brittany's and some are hyper and others are more laid back but all are gooddogs