Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Is it bad?

Old 02-15-2006, 06:36 AM

Default Is it bad?

Is it ok for my puppy to stay in here crate all night even if she has to go to the bathroom? Will there be any damage to kidneys,bladder...etc if she stays in there that long?

My puppy is 3 month lab and is finally getting house training down. I take her out right before bed normally around 10 pm and then not again until 6:30 am most days. Is this bad? Should I continue to wake up in the middle of the night and take her out? I can hear her wake up at like 3am and then 4am and then 5am.......i know she has to go but she eventually just goes back to sleep. I am trying to make her sleep all through the night so i can finally get some sleep too. So is this going to hurt her at all? thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it bad?

A pup can usually 'hold it' for about 30 minutes or moreper each week of age. So at 12 weeks, yours should be able to hold it 6+ hours quite easily.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:51 PM

What I do when house breaking is to get them out as soon as they wake up, and cut the water off at around 5 or 6pm, air after each meal, air twice before bed, and what I have seen work th egreatest, is when the dog goes to the bathroom, make that the biggest thing in the world, like woo hoo alright, what this is, is a praise for what has happened, and in your voice and hand clapping is excitement on a good thing. I have had dogs go back to the same area, for quite a while just for the praise that wa recived. Watch the dog to, you see when they start acting little goofy, shoot them out. Shut the toilet bowls to, no sneaking water. Thanks Jonesy
Old 02-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

i just went through this.. i have a 7 month old. about 3 months doc is right its about 6hours. and it gets longer and longer each week i would increase it a half hour longer. a few weeks ago i had no choice and he was in the kennel for little over 10hours, i felt so bad.. but he held it.
how is your pup doing w/ chewing?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:41 AM

really good........doesn't chew on hardly anything but toys and mulch outside[:'(]............she does a really good job holding it and i can tell exactly when she needs to go out..........i was just wondering if it was bad for her to hold it that long