Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Opinions on electronic collars >

Opinions on electronic collars

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Opinions on electronic collars

Old 11-10-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Opinions on electronic collars

Think I'm going to break down and buy an electronic collar for my Visla. Don't want to spend a fortune (definately less than $200) nor do I need a "professional" bunch of features. So far I am interested in:

Cabelas Gun Dog GS3500 $139
DT Micro-iDT Z$170
SPortDog SD400 $150
Inotek ADV 300 $150

Anyone have experience with these or another recommendation.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:02 AM

Default RE: Opinions on electronic collars

I have the Cabelas GS3500. It does the job for me with my 1 year old black lab. It's pretty basic and simple to use. The receiver is waterproof and I know that it is because my dog has been completely submerged and it still works.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:08 AM

Right now it seems that Dogtra and the SportDog collars are about the best out there. Tritronics used to be the standby, but there workmanship has suffered in recent years. I have a Dogtra and love it, but have been thinking about getting a new one, as my collars are both about eight years old.

I would avoid the Innotek.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:21 PM

I too am looking for a new E-Collar for my 9 month old Yellow Lab. I had an inotec prior to this dog, and i didnt like it at all. I am looking at the Tri-Tronics Flyaway g2 for $445,you said you only want to spend less than $200.If you can somehow aford it, however, i would suggest spending the money, then in a few years you wont be be posting a new topic on what e collar to buy next. But, if you cant spend the money, i've heard good things about all the sport dog collars, my buddy swears by them.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:01 PM

we have tried just about every collar out there over the years. stick with the sportdog 2400 or the d.t 200 series. the dogtra collars are from a companysplit at d.t. so they are pretty much the same collar.we use them on beagles and they are very hard on a collars. we have bench leg and shorter beagles. they are constantly banging the collars on rocks ,stumps, in the dirt you name it. these are theonly ones that have lasted. we use ours 5-6 and many times 7 days a week. there are 100's of hours on these collars without any major problems. the d.t.'s have been sent in a couple of times but the turn around is about a week. never had a problem with the 2400. also don't buy any collar that does not have a warning mode.warning mode beinga vibrator or toner on the collar. any collars with out these options is already out dated.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:51 PM

the dogtra 200ncp gold is great i use it and so do alot of my friends the page(vibrate) feature is a good one i trained my dog so that page is a warning and a quick page is come it cost 200 through LION COUNTRY SUPPLY and you will get $20 off on your first order plus usually free shipping
Old 11-13-2005, 12:04 AM

I have a one year old female Vizsla who is full of energy and not very well disciplined. I bought a new electronic collar on eBay for $65 and started using it two days ago. I took her for a walk in the woods and for the first time I had control of her. It didn't take her long to figure out that the "beep" is followed by a shock unless she behaves.When she wanders off too farone "beep" is enough to turn her around and bring her back. This is my first experience with an electronic collar and I can't make any recommendations but I wish I had gotten one a long time ago.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:39 AM

I have the Inotek ADV 300, and I have a dog that hunts rougher than most birddogs I would bet because he is a treedog, and the collar works great. By hunting rougher, I mean he is in more sticks and woods and less open field, he climbs cliffs and doesn't wait for me. What I am saying is anything on him takes a beating. I won't even put a vest on him because he'd probably go through something and get hung up.

The ADV 300 has seemed alright. I understand not being able to spend money on a more expensive one, and I would thinkfor a birddog that hunts more "gently" (I don't mean they don't hunt extremely hard, I mean they stay more in open fields and light woods for the most part in searching out upland birds so please don't get offended) you would love this collar. I won't go to the woods without it because I like the extra confidence of knowing I can "tell my dog" something when he is some distance off. I can use the beeper to get him to be mindful of me, and I can use the stimulation if I need to for something.

The ADV comes with a charger, tester, extra "nodes," and a lightweight transmitter. Mine also came with a video and a good travel box to keep it all in. Just for extra caution, I put some tape over the charger plug on the receiver just to ensure things stay dry when my dogs run through creeks or deep water.

Good luck, I am sure all of these will work, and I will be honest and say I have heard people advice against the Innotek, but I will tell you it has worked alright for me. I thought I was having some problems with it over the last week, but after charging it up again, I think what I had was just a low charge cause the silly problems I was having went away after charging. I've had mine for not quite a year. Might get another one for my new dog, too.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

I am a Tri Tronis guy after some experience with Innotek................[/align]
Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 AM

I own a Tritronic Pro 100 and it is very durable and reliable. The reciever is waterproof and bulletproof. The transmitter is NOT waterproof, very durable, but difficult to use with one hand (in my opinion). A good dog all around dog collar, but not the best for me.

I also own a Sportdog 1600. It has been very reliable and durable and the entire thing is waterproof. Very easy to use transmitter that isn't a chore to lug around. It was priced very well at around $230. I can highly recommend this unit.

I just saw a new unit from Tritronic that is very small and ergonomically set up. The reciever is tiny, but is built into the collar. I don't like this approach because I've seen collars break or wear out before the receiver dose. The good thing is the transmitter will also launch the launchers. I don't know about pricing, but it will have to be very competitive to make up for a poor image.

Good luck and let us know what you finally decide.

Quick Reply: Opinions on electronic collars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.