Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Paws in bad shape

Old 12-20-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Paws in bad shape

Hey guys,

This is the first season I have hunted a lot in the midwest. Im from AZ and really have never been around these cold conditions for so long.

I feel bad because I dont think I have taken good care of my dogs paws this winter. I tried taking some of the guys advice here (cant find the old post now) about cutting the hair in his paws, but that didnt seem to do a whole lot.

I usually hunt two days on the weekends, and ever since the recent snows melted and froze again, his paws have gotten bad. (he was fine in the soft powder!! and loved it) Now when i was looking at his paws the other night, there are not bloody cuts, but like clear oozing cracks. Never really seen anything like it. And he is walking around like an old man.

My question is what exactly does this come from, and what you guys use to treat/heal this condition. I bought some emt gel off uglydoghunting.com and tuff paw last night. I also will get some good booties for him to wear untill i toughen them back up.

Thanks!!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:20 AM

Default RE: Paws in bad shape

I think you are doing what you can at this point. Another choice would be to get some of those dog boots. I don't think mine would take kindly to them but your may not have a problem. The other Thing I would look at for next year would be to condition the dog in the summer and fall before hunting season. I like to run my dog on a dirt road a couple of times a week. It is best if the road is a little wet helps to soften the run for the dog and doesn't make it so abrasive for the dog's feet. This also helps with the dog’s claws and keeps you from needing to clip them as often.