Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Need Help of an Experience Trainer... >

Need Help of an Experience Trainer...

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Need Help of an Experience Trainer...

Old 12-17-2005, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need Help of an Experience Trainer...

Could a guy or gal who has trained a dog give me some step by step instructions on how to train a decent bird dog. I know I'll have to get select the right bird dog for me, but after that I have had no luck.I need info on when to start and what to do with them..how much time i need to spend with them.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:46 PM

Default RE: Need Help of an Experience Trainer...

Hi, my name is Dave Jones, I own Jonesy's Gun Dogs, I am located in Berea, Kentucky. If you would like this could be alot easier, to talk over the phone, if you would like, you can p.m me through here, or e-mail my other account this way we don't tie up this post, and leave it open for other responses. Thanks Jonesy 859-985-2918
Old 12-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

What kind of dog are you looking for and what kind of hunting? No matter what kind of dog you get training starts as soon as it gets home. A very common mistake is owners let too much time pass before the training starts.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

I am looking at getting a brittany for pheasents and quial.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Typical Buck

Contact Jonsey first, he's a professional trainer. Next, get some knowledge by reading so you can understand what a professional or any other person is saying; the lingo. So, if jonsey says 'FF' or force fetching then he won't have to go into alot of detail of what it is. Also, it's always good in knowing exactly what you're getting and how much work a professional is putting into your dog.

If you want to train him yourself, then find someone that is willing to mentor you before picking a dog. A local chaper of a field trail club or breeder or local gun dog club sometimes hold training seminars. Alot of people are willing to help a new person but some will want a person with some knowledge of trainning. Have you ever owned a dog before? Have you hunted before? Shot a bird? etc. You get alot of knowledge from books, implementing that knowledge from mentors, and finished product (there's always little quirks to be ironed out) from professional trainers.

Recommedations: Training Pointing Dogs by Paul Long. A short easy to read book. Or Delmar's Smith (or any Smith seminars) books or DVDs. Richard Wolter's DVDs. Dahl books, etc. some of the more famous training books.

Remember every gundog can and will hunt or they wouldn't be a favorite breed of some hunter with years of experience. Find someone who's willing to mentor you first then go and pick a dog. Sometimes, they'll like you alot more if you picktheir type of dog.

Update: just read your post on bird hunting forum.
Jonsey would be a good contact for you. I don't know how he feels about mentoring but he can certainly help you out with problems. Call him as he may have a broke setter ready to go.

Also, I'm familiar with the Llewellin setter community. A Llew will generally work abit further out than a brit but within gunrange. I'm sure they would be willing to mentor any Llew owner. Ed K. of kimbu-k-kennels has some pups on the ground in MI. He has an excellent breeding program going on there. Joe Noe, a long time Llew owner also helps alot of new owners. He is in Illinios.

If you are dead set on a brit, these people have brits, pointers and setters. www.twincedarskennel.com