Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

bird launcher

Old 12-16-2005, 02:28 PM

Default bird launcher

this year santa's is bringing me a new bird launcher. now i have seen my buddy train his dogs with one so iknow how i want to trainmydog.but heres where i am confussed;
iammost likely only going to huntpheasants with this dog but to buy quail is much cheaper.and i was wondering if i train the dog with the quail will itpoint pheasants ornot?should i use a mixed bag "one or two pheasants and some quail???" what do you think?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:15 PM

Default RE: bird launcher

Pigeons, and quail will be fine, the pheasants will over lay, when you start hunting, if you make him steady, if he bumps a pheasant, make your correction on the chase, then I will assume, then next bird will be a lot better. It will maybe take a bird or two, but not usually. Be careful not to make the dog trap shy, if presented wrong, it will overlay into possible bird blinking, always remember: no two dogs are the same. Thanks Jonesy