Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pics of my pointer pup

Old 11-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pics of my pointer pup

I was a sec. to slow on this pic. he is just coming out of a point. he is only 5 months so it was only a 6 sec. point then he went for it

Old 11-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pics of my pointer pup

this is his first bird!! but truth be told i did not shoot it

Old 11-16-2005, 07:14 PM

great lookin pup... and congrats with the first bird (give him a belly rub from me) haha
Old 11-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like you have a champ on your hands . Looks to be a hell raiser also LOL.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:21 AM

nice dog congrats
Old 11-17-2005, 10:56 AM

Hey PA, try not to put the birds down so hard, picture looks like dogs right on top of, do how you want, butif you dizzy 3 or 4 head spins, then just toss into your cover, the bird will not be so out of it, andget gone, instead of being a bird turd. Don't get me wrong at this age bird turds are alright, but the dog will learn more about the birds and hunting if it can't catch often, you will physically see the dog get more bolder astimegoes on, and it also realizes it can't catch the birds. Becareful, or remember 2 points and flushes is safe, most birds will be exhausted after that.And HEY!!! mighty fine looking K9!! I like the blk/wht more,my preference. Thanks, Jonesy Just suggestions and opinions. Do watch you want
Old 11-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

What's a bird turd?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

thanks everyone, hes a good dog. he still likes to bite me a lot but hes my bud. im taking him out sat. to try and find some wild grouse but thats going to be hard for him, he will bump them before he knows they were there. but you never know.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:34 PM

" Bird Turd " What dog produces after working, and hunting his way, NOT our way. Feathers are sometimes included!! hahaha Thanks Jonesy
Old 11-20-2005, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

I took my dog out again yesterday. Damn spent nearly two hours trying to get her into the car. She ran into a muddy field and discovered Plovers. Plovers are shorebirds that usually like open fields, no grass. They will stand still until something comes close then run. If chased, they'll eventually fly, in a low wide circle. This field was actually private property, but they are good about dogs. The game warden's buddyproperty as the warden was there helping also.

Anyway, she would point these plovers. There was no way we could get to her as the mud was ankle deep. But, I noticed the plovers were steading her point. She would point a covey and held it until the last bird flew. In fact she would circle the covey until she was facing us. But ofcourse then we couldn't go near because we would flush the birds and then she'd chase. The warden's attitude was, "Well, that's what she is suppose to do (he owned a GSP so experienced the same situation)." Ugh, she can be so stubborn sometimes. I was finally able to make her come to me butwas somewhat peeved. How can you fault a dog thatdoes what comes natural to it? And a pup besides?

Plovers can be your best friend or worst enemy. My last setter learned to point on them. This one is learning that plovers will hold and I guess they are smelly. Damn little birds can hide anywhere. Worst enemy because they won't leave a field. I could have called her but not with these birds around.

Quick Reply: Pics of my pointer pup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.