Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 I got my pup on birds today >

I got my pup on birds today

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

I got my pup on birds today

Old 10-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default I got my pup on birds today

i took mypointerpup to a preservetoday and got him on birds. not to hunt just for him to get birdy.this is the first time for him finding birds, and once he learned how to use his nose WOW.. he did such a good job. it took him a few min.to find the first one but after that he knew what to do and how to follow his nose.i thinkhe is going to be agreat hunter. he even gave some nice points after he knew he couldn't catch them.. i am so happy for him.. i wish i pics of it[/align]
Old 10-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I got my pup on birds today

Sounds like you're on the right track. Once pups see their first covey flush or their first rooster fly up, it really opens their eyes!

I remember the first time I put my 1st GSP on caged quail, he ended up running off through a bean field chasing butterflies and we could see was his head and ears flopping every 5 seconds or so above the beans trying to get the butterflies! haha That's one of my fonder memories of him. Despite that event, he turned out to be one helluva a bird finder....never hunted with a dog that could out find him when it came to birds...maybe a little more discplined, but not with finding birds. Good luck to you and your pup!
Old 10-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

Isn't fun and very gratifying to see your pup pointing? When I took my dog out the first time she found the scent and locked up. Couldn't stop her after that. Couldn't be more proud. Now, you just have to introduce the gun and you'll have a buddy to hunt with. You can train him along the way but it looks like you are well on your way. Congrats
Old 10-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

GSP- yes his eyes are opened up now. i took him for a walk today and his whole way of acting and smelling is different.
Mite- yes im so proud of him he is doing so well. who would have thought, about a month ago i thought oh no im never going to be able to do this. but we stuck w/ it and we arent there yet and it will take time but now things are starting to come along. and you are right, the guy told me to get him ready for the gun, he is going to help me work w/ him, which is great. once he is used to the gun we are taking him hunting w/ him mom. and he said that he will learn so much hunting w/ her.
well thanks guys ill keep you updated on how we do.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

well i took him out today and had my dad shot a 20ga about 100yds away. he jumped a little then went back looking for birds then he came closer and shot at 50 and he just looked back.. then i shot at 20yds from him and he didnt even move.. so far so good w/ the gun.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:03 AM
Typical Buck

That's one way to do it . I would rather let the puppy find a bird, flush it, then shoot over him. It's an association they make gunshot = birds. When I'm hunting with her, when we hear a gunshot she immediately wants to know what they got.

Update on the puppy training: My puppy seems to be getting 'it'. On leash that is. She knows 'woah' + 'heel' real well. After her run, I will do alittle trainning session everyday until she gets it. Today, I did something a bit different. I heeled her then walked 20 feet then blew my whistle once for whoa. (I can use both verbal or whistle commands). Then walk backwards for 20' then blew two hoots to come. Did that several times, back and forth LOL my pup prolly thought I was dingy that day.

PA Gobbler, how's the training going? You should start seeing results by now. Looks like the puppy's hunting instinct is comming along just fine.

I've also heard of a command I haven't the faintest clue in how to train the dog in. A guy with two EP's told me that he uses mutiple hoots to get the dog to circle the bird. That's a really neat trick because the pheasants here will run alot. I have no idea how he trained them to do that.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:33 PM

Boy I would be careful associating the gun that way, a better way to do is to get a few pigeons, pull some of the wing feathers out when the dog bumps, bird flies, but not well, as soon as the dog gets mouth on thebird to catch it,fire. The dog does not have time to think bout it, you can always shorten the firing distance after it gets comfortable with it. This is just socialization of the gun and the dog won't think the bird is doin it. I have had to fix alot of dogs from that sort of problem. Jonesy
Old 10-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

Jonesy

Interesting. This is the way I've always been told to do it. I've basically trained two setters this way. But I've always let them run/chase birds first until they would want to chase birds rather then play. When I introduce the gun, they are totally focused upon chasing/getting that bird.

I don't doubt you but wouldn't the dog be smart enough to know where the sound is comming from? Perhaps, these dogs you corrected was from owners who tooked their dogs out for the first time then shot over them? I would be interested to know and in which situation you shouldn't do the chase-shootmethod.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

i shot w/ him today and now im shooting 10yrds away from him. so i feel good about it. im taking him back on tues. and they guy told me to bring my gun so i might be shooting while he is chasing birds.. i cant wait.
well im glad your training is going really good. i bet youhave a great dog and one thats going to be a fine hunter. mine well its going okay.. we are working on heel right now. which is going okay but only on a short leash.. and lately "here" or come isent going as well as it was in the past. i dont know if he is just testing me or not.. in the field he comes when called but around the house and yard he isent doing as well.. and fetch took a downhill also.. i dont know what is causing this though.

ORIGINAL: Mite

That's one way to do it . I would rather let the puppy find a bird, flush it, then shoot over him. It's an association they make gunshot = birds. When I'm hunting with her, when we hear a gunshot she immediately wants to know what they got.

Update on the puppy training: My puppy seems to be getting 'it'. On leash that is. She knows 'woah' + 'heel' real well. After her run, I will do alittle trainning session everyday until she gets it. Today, I did something a bit different. I heeled her then walked 20 feet then blew my whistle once for whoa. (I can use both verbal or whistle commands). Then walk backwards for 20' then blew two hoots to come. Did that several times, back and forth LOL my pup prolly thought I was dingy that day.

PA Gobbler, how's the training going? You should start seeing results by now. Looks like the puppy's hunting instinct is comming along just fine.

I've also heard of a command I haven't the faintest clue in how to train the dog in. A guy with two EP's told me that he uses mutiple hoots to get the dog to circle the bird. That's a really neat trick because the pheasants here will run alot. I have no idea how he trained them to do that.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Typical Buck

I am willing to bet it's the environment. Home is safe for him. In the field where he hasn't spent much time is still new. He wants to explore but doesn't want to be left behind so he will initially range close but get a few more times out there and let him mature, he will be just in sight range.

I took my dog hunting yesterday. The site next to a busy highway and we were nearing the edge. My dog scented something and ran into the thorny blackberry thicket. Tried to call her back but she wouldn't listen. 20min later a rooster popped up about 30' from where she entered. I can only assume that she was on point all that time because the bushes stilled. Too bad I had my shotgun broke open. Later she ran into the corn fields and flushed/pointed another one. Both times I couldn't steady her because the thicket is nasty. Only small dogs enter in them. In the corn field I can't see her. Oh well.

Have fun hunting with him. If anything else it's valuable experience for the pup.

Quick Reply: I got my pup on birds today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.