Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

WI Pheasent Opener

Old 10-16-2005, 08:51 PM

Default WI Pheasent Opener

Had a great weekend on the Wisconsin Opener. My black lab Rudi did a heck of a job, she's only a year and a halfand is out standing bird hunter. She's got a great nose of her. Saterday afternoon she flushed about 12 birds in total and my unlce, dad and me got three roosters. Retrieved them all. Went out this morning and got three again. Great thing was they were all wild roosters. Not the released ones werelease every year.It was awsome, i wouldnt of cared if we even of got any roosters. Just watching her get all birdie was amazing. I've gotten so many complements on her already and even last year when she was still a little pup and retrieve birds. She could hardly bring them back, her head was almost toughing the ground becuase the bird was just a bit bigger then her. She's just gonna keep getting better.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:25 AM

Default RE: WI Pheasent Opener

Wow!! You've had great luck with birds for WI. Were you able to get this kind of success on private or public land? What region of the state were you hunting? I'm layed up with knee reconstruction surgery and what was supposed to be a great hunting season has turned into what could have been. Good luck and give an update once in awhile.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:22 PM

Default RE: WI Pheasent Opener

Me and my dad have alot of success on state land. Alot of cpr fields that are over grown. My Grandpa also has a large farm that his mainly CPR fields in south eastern WI. Every year we see a good two to three wild hatches but alot really dont make it but a couple of them. The state land is slow, usually that's where we get our very large and long tail feathered Pheasants. So i'd see we hunt both state and private 50/50 each way, we dont want to over harvest on my grandpa's farm so we limit the birds we shoot there. We like to keep track, I read that One rooster will breed up to 15 hens and if there are two roosters around, they will either kill the hens or each other so that neither of them get any. Weird huh? We go on this basis and like to keep just couple roosters aorund each year, and it's working. Sorry to hear about your leg still got till the end of December!