Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Help socializing a dog

Old 10-13-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Help socializing a dog

I just got a 14 week old GSP female. She hadn't really been messed with until then. Is there anything I can do to speed up the socialization so I can get to the bird work. She will run up to me and smell me and then hop around. Would it be bad to leave a leash on her to be able to drag her to me wherever I wanted?
Thanks
Old 10-13-2005, 10:28 AM

Default RE: Help socializing a dog

I think that you may have your expectations set too high. She's only 14 weeks old. Work on getting her prey drive up and her interest high. The control and discipline will come as you continue to work with her and as she matures. If you become to impatient or heavy handed (especially at this age) you can damage or even ruin your hunting companion. Try this website for some help too:

http://66.146.162.211/forum/sitenews.asp

A great training method that even I can follow and understand.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing wrong with socialization at 14 weeks. Take her along to public places as much as you can either on-leash or off-leash (Parks). The more socialized they are the less problems with barking, biting people, growling, etc. you will have later on. It's also a good way to meet girls as they go crazy with puppies. LOL

At that age, let her chase butterflies, grasshoppers, etc. I wouldn't go for birds right away except for sparrows. Even a pigeon would like a huge turkey to her right now. You'll notice the prey drive developing naturally if she starts to pay attention to birds rather seriously. It took my pup at around 5.5 months.

Don't need to rush her. I don't think you can actually ruin her but let her grow up just alittle more before introducing birds. Prey drive will start to develop soon.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:26 PM

Maybe I should have written that a little different. How can I get the dog to be more used to me. I have never spanked her or given her any reason to be scared of me and not let me pet her. Any help. Thanks
Old 10-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like your puppy may have been abused or yelled at alot. Wouldn't surprise me as puppies don't know better. Does she shy from men and not women? Is she shy around other dogs? If she is shy to other dogs then she was born shy. If not but shy to men, then she's been abused or yelled at. It might take abit to bond with her. Just keep up what your doing and take it easy on her - including the yelling. Spend as much time as you can with her.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:38 AM
Typical Buck

I was 13 when I got my first GSP...and me and my dad picked him up from the airport...will never do that again as he was scared to death and yada yada yada! Who wouldn't be? BUT, the night before we picked him up, I slept with a blanket I intended on using for in his crate. When we all got to the car I put the blanket on my lap and then put my dog on my lap too. He sniffed it, then sniffed me, looked up at me, and then passed out the whole ride home. He associated that blanket with me and more importantly, comfort. I used the same blanket in his crate for a long time...until he chewed it up! haha. Your dog is still young so here's my advice to you. Try the blanket trick. Also, put your pup in a crate next to your bed at night. Also try an analog alarm clock...one that makes a ticking sound. I know he's 14 wks. but with pups that are only 8 wks old it seems to calm them down a bit as it sort of mimicks their mother's heartbeat. When your pup's not sleeping, socialize with him/her as much as possible. Hope this helps!